Thursday photo prompt – Messenger #writephoto

p1190688

She hadn’t heard from him for so long the hurt of it was crushing on her.

Ever since time stopped and distance shifted into the realms of impossibility she wondered about him.

Now her days were about surviving as best she could. Electricity was sporadic and even off for days on end.

Around her greed was the driving force behind people’s actions. It was take what you could, bugger the next guy, he could fend for himself or die.

It was at night when she thought about him. The long vocal exchanges made so easy when the internet was available and taken for granted. It was so simple being a part of each other’s lives. The exchange of notes, the swapping of photos all by the press of a button on each other’s keyboard.

It was three months since she last received a message. In that last note to her, he knew their time was limited. It was an exchange of promise. They expressed their love for each other, they said they would never forget the other, they hoped for one day there might be a means to make contact or meet somewhere.

She hurriedly copied the note not realising that the next day all computers went dead.

The sheet of paper was all she had of him now.

Not even a photograph, they died with everything else when the lights went out.

She folded the note away, slipped it under her pillow and tried for sleep. Thoughts of him kept her awake but only for a short time as his memory she found more soothing than disturbing.

Written for: https://scvincent.com/2017/07/13/thursday-photo-prompt-messenger-writephoto/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Thursday photo prompt – Messenger #writephoto

1. I love that last paragraph. Beautiful.

2. Fandango says:

Scenes from a dystopian future. Well told, albeit sad, story.

3. Sue Vincent says:

I worry about this…being a dinosaur from the time when we had paper albums and handwriting. So much of who we are is now lived online how much will remain to the future?
    A touching tale, Michael.

4. Ritu says:

This is amazing Michael, It truly is a worry, I want to go and print off a whole load of photos now!

One hopes if it ever happens that we get a bit of notice…stock up, print off, say what has to be said….thanks Ritu..

• Ritu says:

I’m already compiling photobooks in my head Michael!!! I type and then print many of my stories… I hope I’ll be ok lol!!

5. frankhubeny says:

I was thinking of a deep recession that might cause something similar to happen. Nice story.

6. You got over the isolation of the great shut down beautifully.

7. Jael Sook says:

Interesting ponder about losing the Internet/electricity I so take for granted… I liked the story.

8. MC Clark says:

This one tugged my heartstrings, Michael…so sad. So many of us have friends in the digital world now. What a shame it would be to lose them. 😕

9. Pingback: Messenger #writephoto by Michael | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

10. This is filled with such melancholy, I absolutely love it!

11. Isabel Caves says:

Nice work Michael. Scary and beautiful at the same time.

12. Pingback: Photo prompt round up – Messenger #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo