July 6: Flash Fiction Challenge – Beacon

july-6

July 6, 2017 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write about a beacon. It can be from a lighthouse or other source. Use the word literally or figuratively and go where the prompt leads you.

He was a beacon of hope to so many. He spoke the language they craved to hear.

To others, he was a beacon of disaster. Everything he said was a lie a falsehood designed to deceive and confusion.

Where he promised prosperity for all to others, he spelt poverty a modern-day Judas selling out those whom he should have supported for the lure of the mighty dollar.

He used people for his own ends, he cared little for their well-being concentrating totally on what was best for him.

In the end, he was justifiably condemned to rot in hell.

Written for: https://carrotranch.com/2017/07/07/july-6-flash-fiction-challenge-2/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to July 6: Flash Fiction Challenge – Beacon

1. Hmmm, there are a few people I can think of who might fit into this category lol

2. Reena Saxena says:

Not sure if the ‘rotting in hell’ actually happens. This character could be a Robin Hood, Ellsworth Toohey of Fountainhead or any self-professed godman or politician.

3. floridaborne says:

I think we all know more than a few people like that. Some days, I pray there’s a hell. Other days I fear there is one. 🙂

4. susanzutautas says:

I hope he does rot in hell. Great Flash!

5. Must be a politician. 🙂

6. Fandango says:

An accurate depiction of the current President of the United States, may he ultimately rot in hell.

7. Oh, there’s not much subtlety here… nice job. And yes, the key word of your 99, is “justifiably’.

8. He perfectly fits the bill of a shrewd politician. But I doubt the ‘rotting in Hell’ . His Karma. A character well sketched in 99 words.

9. Jael Sook says:

That’s the problem with false beacons–there are heavy consequences to pay.

10. Charli Mills says:

Good play on the prompt, Michael, twisting what the purpose of a beacon into one of self-gain. It also made me think of those in the church who deceive. My best friend Kate used to say there was a hot place in hell for such.

11. Pingback: Beacons of Light « Carrot Ranch Communications

12. Annecdotist says:

Aargh, my mind went straight to a particular person when I read this. It’s a good point, that what might be a beacon for some isn’t necessarily for others.