Writing prompt 25th June, Mothers

mothers-love

Image: Mother’s Love.

My mother would have been 92 years old this year. Sadly, for her and for me she died in 1983, aged 57.

At the time of her death, all her children had moved out, and she and my dad were the only ones at home.

Mum was an active woman, she played tennis until arthritis in her hands stopped that, but she found an outlet in playing lawn bowls and on the day of her death she had been to bowls.

My mother I suspect had a kidney disease that led to her laying down for a nap and never waking from.

Losing a parent is always a hard thing no matter the circumstances but losing a parent so suddenly brings on a numbness that stays with you forever.

My mother was a housewife, she came from a period where being the keeper of the house and looking after the kids was what mothers did. Every morning as I grew up she would have some kind of cooked breakfast for me. Often left overs from the day before. She would have to radio on (we didn’t have a TV in those days), and there was the morning newspaper delivered to our front yard.

The one thing I recall was the futility of telling mum you were sick and couldn’t go to school. Unless you were covered in spots or had a limb missing her reply was always the same: “You’ll be alright once you get going.”

To my eternal annoyance, she was always right.

She read romance fiction, but not Georgette Heyer, I suspect Georgette was a tad risqué for mum. She had us up at 6.30 every Sunday morning to have us to Mass at 7 am. Afterwards, there was always bacon and eggs for breakfast.

As a cook, my mum left a lot to be desired. All meats, no matter what, would be cooked to resemble elephants arse.

But she had a sense of humour, she encouraged us to play sport, play outside and to on occasion read. I think she was pleased to see how each of her children turned out. We all have traits of our mother about us, and I think that is a good thing that she lives on inside of us.

MUM

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/06/25/writing-prompt-25th-june-mothers/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Writing prompt 25th June, Mothers

1. Lorraine says:

Wonderful tribute to your mother. Thanks for sharing her with us, the reader.

2. MC Clark says:

It sounds as if you have very good memories of her…I do of my mom also. I only have one child, a son, but I hope when I am gone and he thinks of me, it will be with the same loving thoughts you have of your mom.
    I’m sure your mom would love reading this, Michael. 🙂

I think often of her, all the things she missed out on, seeing us grow up, her gkids and the fascinating people they are. I’m lucky in that my kids all 6 seem to like me still. Tonight my eldest son is staying over. I don’t see him so often as he lives away so we a lot to catch up on.

• MC Clark says:

That speaks a lot when your kids grow up and still like you. It means your mistakes were few and your love was big. 😁 Enjoy your visit.

Thanks Cathy, I did enjoy the visit, short as it was we did a lot of catching up. A breakfast this morning with son No 2 and home he went after. I’m hoping when he and his family move down this way we will see more of each other.

• MC Clark says:

I don’t see as much of my son as I would like either, but he’s busy with career and family, and since I was where he is now at one time, I understand. But I know he loves me, and if I needed him would drop everything and come running. When his life slows down, I’m sure we’ll see more of each other, like it was for me and my parents.

Yes it’s a bit like that with me too. He is keen when he moves back to do things with me like help me give my kitchen a makeover.

• MC Clark says:

Sounds like fun…sort of. 🙂

Will be if his plans come to fruition 😁

3. Lovely post Michael. Mum’s are precious aren’t they.

4. scribblersdip says:

Absolutely lovely memories and stories here Michael – and this is just such a beautifully written piece – I’m sure she is watching over you and smiling with great fondness – and how beautiful a soul is she – what a stunning picture!

When I look at that image of her I can’t help but think that for her 18th BD she had all her teeth removed, like that was considered a gift?? But back then in the days before flouride in the water supply peoples teeth were not as they are today.

• scribblersdip says:

ah, so it was common then in your and her neck of the woods too? in French Canada, and in Quebec, that often was the case too – but then, as you say, the care and techniques etc. are not what they are now – and so, it often was considered far less problematic in the long term.

5. mandibelle16 says:

I’m sorry for your long ago lie of your mother. That must have been very hard on you. She’s a beautiful lady and sounds like she raised her children right. I think the 7;00 am mass a bit much but I get she was trying to install religion and values in her kids, you can’t blame her for that.