100 Word Weekly Writing Challenge —Week 8 – Alec’s Corner Store

ww100_w8-frank_jansen

Image Credit: Frank Jansen

Alec shuffled to the door, unlatched it and opened his corner store for one more day. With the drinks fridge stocked, the chip packets in neat rows and the lolly counter it usual array of coloured candy he was ready for customers.

Once he had sold a heap of stuff, the camera business had long gone because of digital and the sign on top of his shop was an eyesore.

He did miss the queues at lunchtime, his sandwich bar now empty.

His children urged him to sell but he wondered what else he could do.

Written for: https://bikurgurl.com/2017/03/01/100-word-wednesday-week-8/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 100 Word Weekly Writing Challenge —Week 8 – Alec’s Corner Store

1. Lorraine says:

Michael good story and a favor. My internet access is out til tomorrow and can’t get into mlmm and see if tale weavers posted or respond if someone submits a post. Could you monitor it for me please. If I am off line this week for long all three of my posts will be with out me. Ack. Thanks. I tried to email you too.

2. bikurgurl says:

Loving this tale of days gone by and how to look forward to the future. It’s something we all have the opportunity to come to terms with or let the opportunities pass us by. Splendid 🙂

Thank you so much, I knew a few old shops such as this one, great image you provided this week.

• bikurgurl says:

Thank you kindly! This is from fellow blogger, Frank Jansen at Dutch Goes the Photo. He’s a brilliant photographer and was kind enough to allow me to use his image for this week’s prompt. So happy you enjoyed it 🙂

There’s something really sad about old stores closing down. Especially ones that seem to have been there forever. Up until I was five (1948-53) my parents owned a mixed business in Botany. It’s still there, but now it’s a Newsagency.

Yes its a fact of life now isn’t it. There’s a shop up from me that was a general store when I was a kid and is now a trendy cafe…change is happening everywhere…

4. willowdot21 says:

Nicely done ! 🙂

5. Pingback: Wind-Up Week 8: 100 Word Wednesday – Bikurgurl

6. Singledust says:

safety in familiar actions though he knew it was making him money – I see lots if this and its a lovely story to remember those who served a community way before modern technology encroached onto humanity.