FFfAW Challenge – Week of November 29, 2016 – My Sister

photo-20161128154638337

Image: thanks to Louise at ‘The Storyteller’s Abode”.

My sister was a snob there was no two ways about it. She looked down her nose at everyone.

It was mother’s fault. As my sister’s role model, a haughtier woman, you’d never come across. My mother never said a lot, it was her look that told you everything. One withering look from her and you were cactus.

My sister inherited the same the look of distain, the appearance of superiority and the air of social aloofness.

She was courted by several men. Each had his good point and in my sister’s eyes multitudinous bad points. Lester Courteny was the ‘most’ successful. He actually went out to dinner with her. But he didn’t escort her home. She walked out during the dessert. The strawberry cheesecake wasn’t to her liking and neither was Lester.

She lived in her room, read extensively and said little to any man who approached her. I think my father had a lot to do with that.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/fffaw-challenge-week-of-november-29-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to FFfAW Challenge – Week of November 29, 2016 – My Sister

1. Haha! She certainly does sound like a snob! It’s good for the men that she stays in her room. LOL! I wonder what the father did to cause it? Leaves a lot to ponder. Great story!

2. Nice mysterious twist at the end — what did the father do? Dark secrets or indulged?

3. Looks like she had a nasty upbringing. Good story.

4. Mike says:

One hopes that in the end she finds contentment and true love.

5. Lynn Love says:

Good story, Michael, nice description of an aloof personality. The only sentence I had to read twice was ‘As my sister’s role model a haughtier woman who’d never come across’ – I know what you mean but it doesn’t quite sound right. Now you’ve left us all wondering if the sister ever relented and let someone close to her – intriguing 🙂

6. Iain Kelly says:

Intriguing last line, nice twist that suddenly makes us rethink our attitude to her sister.

LOL my youngest daughter has what her siblings and husband call “the look.” You cop “the look” and you know you are in trouble 😀

8. milliethom says:

I’m intrigued by the last sentence, Michael, and realise it could be interpreted in different ways – some nicer than others. But I really liked this description: “She walked out during the dessert. The strawberry cheesecake wasn’t to her liking and neither was Lester.” The scene you depict makes me giggle. Well written story!

9. I like an open ending. Not too keen on your sister though!

My story is called Dear Jane

10. athling2001 says:

Love the line about the cactus. Such a great way to convey your meaning. Good job!

11. afairymind says:

That final line gives an entirely different view of the sister. She’s definitely a product of her upbringing! Nicely done, Michael.

12. mandibelle16 says:

Interesting, I wonder what the father had to do with it, as PJ said too. Maybe it’s just easier for him to not gave to worry about suitors for her. Maybe he likes having her home? She is a snob though, but I guess she didn’t end up that way conpletely on her own. Great write!

13. rogershipp says:

There were sooooo many lines that I loved in this piece! This one I especially liked. “One withering look from her and you were cactus.” WELL DONE!