Haibun Monday #24 – The Bridge

20161028_173439_richtonehdr

I’ve been here a long time and I am the epitome of knowing a lot of water that has gone under me. I have been unchanged in a hundred years. A little rusty in places, a few planks replaced, but on the whole I have always been what you see.

I have seen the lovers, the desperate, the sad ones who have jumped, the morning wanderers, the evening ones hurrying home to loved ones or eager to escape the rigours of work.

I watch the seasons change, the colours of autumn, who wouldn’t love this time of the year. The rich reds and yellows and the hues in between.

I stand as the sentinel of the past, present and future. The familiar faces, the new acquaintances, the memory of good folk who not only crossed over me but stood and pondered a moment sharing their joy of the season around them. I look forward, the seasons change, the colours vary, I am content in arching this small valley.

bridging more than gaps

as autumn colours flourish

standing strong and tall

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2016/10/31/haibun-monday-24/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Haibun Monday #24 – The Bridge

1. I do love the POV of the the bridge, a sentinel, and yet there are those that jump as well…

2. Grace says:

I too love the voice and perspective of the bridge Michael. To hear and bear witness to stories and lives and loves of various people coming and going. Unchanging and always a constant fixture in our lives. Thanks for joining us ~

3. Brian says:

I like how you encapsulated all the time passing from the perspective of the bridge.

4. thotpurge says:

bridging more than gaps… so true!!

5. Sanaa Rizvi says:

I stand as the sentinel of the past, present and future… incredible writing, Michael ❤️

6. kim881 says:

I want to meet your bridge and listen to his stories – he seems to be a male bridge. 😉 I like the way he describes himself: ‘A little rusty in places, a few planks replaced, but on the whole I have always been what you see.’ Just the fact that he loves autumn endears him to me!

7. MarinaSofia says:

Goodness, yes, so much this bridge has seen and experienced – yet a curious sense of detachment from it all, too.

8. I love the timeless sentinel carrying all who pass and stop to ponder, like a great friend :o)

9. Oh, the stories a bridge could tell. Really like this

10. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Nice, from that point of view. 🙂

11. Kathy Reed says:

Your response to the prompt is simple yet full of imagery; I love the voice of the bridge.