Music Prompt #51: “They don’t care about us” by Michael Jackson

I wonder who the carers are

In the face of wanton destruction.

You wonder if anyone cares.

No matter our shape, our colour

Our religious affiliations

There is someone out there

Intent on using who and what we are

As a justification to destroy all around us.

But I am convinced there are more

Good people than bad

That we can’t allow the radicals,

The lunatics, the ones who claim religion

As a reason for their actions

To ever win.

No God no matter what flavor

Has ever supported superiority

Over those outside their fold.

Those thoughts are the work of men.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/music-prompt-51-they-dont-care-about-us-by-michael-jackson/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Music Prompt #51: “They don’t care about us” by Michael Jackson

1. Shadeau says:

AMEN! Bravo, Michael–What is Wrong with People??!! As a woman of faith (Christian) I feel like I have to shout all the louder to be heard above fanatics of any faith…and frankly, I’m growing hoarse.

I think that is the point there are so many out there who actually believe they are right and love to quote chapter and verse at you to prove it. So often they have missed to point about the nature of God…

• Shadeau says:

As many of the preachers I watch/listen to say, “Jesus didn’t come to bring ‘religion’, but an intimate relationship with God”. Quoting chapter and verse–unless it’s the ones on God’s love and grace–are hard pressed to lift people out of their own mire and muck. He wants to Love us–and when we grasp how big/deep/wide/powerful that love is, it changes us, makes us better people. It happened, and continues to happen in my own heart. Have a blessed weekend, whatever’s on your docket 🙂

Well Saturday is half over already…sigh…..but for me every day is a good day and like a weekend…..lol
        Yes its about the God of love isn’t it….

• Shadeau says:

I always forget you’re a day ahead 🙂

2. “There’s a great Bob Dylan song ‘With God on Our Side,’ that talks about how in war, both sides feel God is supporting their cause. But as you and Stella discussed, Jesus is about peace and love not war and hatred,” she commented. “But then, it’s the same with other religions — a prophet of goodness and calm. You are right, it’s not religion that preaches hate and war, but the preachers and their flocks.”

3. “I can imagine why. The word as written is not the word as spoken when religion is used as an excuse,” she said.

4. sanaarizvi says:

Whistles!! Bravo Michael 😀 this is such a heart stirring poem… especially love the reference to “But I am convinced there are more good people than bad” Yes that’s certainly true ❤ thank you so much for participating at MLMM 😀

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

5. Bravo and bravo again!!

6. well write, Michael 🙂 so very true!

7. wildchild47 says: