Poetics: Empire of Scents – Family Dinner

IMG_0367

Dive into the world of scents.

I hear the crash of the door

Young Jack enters, exuberant as always

His younger brothers follow

Wide eyed wondering what’s on the menu.

Daughters arrive, sons rush in

It’s a family dinner

Two birthdays: one 36 one 3…….

They exclaim delight in the aromas they meet

Dinner is cooked

Across the room floats a parmigiana sauce

Mingled with a mushroom cream

A honey mustard sits nearby

Ready to sate every pallet if touches.

They wander to the stove

Their noses awakening their appetites,

Dad’s cooking has improved they say.

Dinner is about choices

Which taste to sample first

They take small chicken pieces,

Smother them in a chosen sauce.

By evenings end

Fierce debate over which was preferred

Each has a favourite

Leftovers will provide another meal.

At nights end I am left with

The perfume of the kitchen

Comforting my senses.

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2016/06/28/poetics-empire-of-scents/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Poetics: Empire of Scents – Family Dinner

1. hayesspencer says:

Very nice! I love poems about food and this seems like such a fun time for all. Looks yummy!

Even better Toni, it tasted great, when my kids go back for seconds you know you are on a winner…

• hayesspencer says:

Yes, seconds are always good indicators. My husband and mother-in-law (gasp!) always love what I cook.

I think one day I should write a poem about my cooking abilities when the kids were growing up. There were six of them so a packet of mince meat, some mixed veges and as much sauce as I could get away with was called ‘stage food’. I am haunted by it, they remind me every so often as well, I think in other times it was probably up there with gruel…..

• hayesspencer says:

That could be fun!

• hayesspencer says:

In a former life, I was an extremely motivated and centered chef. I burned out now I just cook for those I love.

2. “Any leftovers for me,” she asked finding herself suddenly extremely hungry at 11:30 pm

3. Shadeau says:

I love the poignancy of the ending…and now I’m SO Hungry!

4. I do love it. Cooking is not just that, but the company to enjoy it with…

5. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Oh Michael 😀 this is absolutely lovely! Nothing like the aroma of good food to bring back delightful memories ❤ Beautifully executed.

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

6. Grace says:

My hats off to a man who can cook yummy food, smiles ~ The perfume of the kitchen with good company leaves me very well satisfied.

Thanks for joining us and wishing you happy week.

7. maria says:

And now my tummy’s rumbling! Geez… Such sumptuous scent you have here… 🙂

8. Pingback: Word-High July: Welcome! – A Reading Writer

9. Just ate breakfast and now I’m hungry again. Good descriptions.

10. The kitchen is where comfort is born, Michael. Nicely written!

11. Bryan Ens says:

Mmm…I might have to drop in for a meal sometime!

12. daa1915 says:

Nothing better than a family meal, and you captured it perfectly.

13. C.C. says:

“The perfume of the kitchen”–what a unique and interesting way to put it 🙂

14. Mish says:

The only thing better than the tastes and aromas in your poem is the importance of family coming together. 🙂

15. A lovely family story, framed by scents. I really enjoyed this!