Prompt Nights – Summer sets upon earth’s bosom bare

fb03

I sit on the sand staring out into the Pacific

A cooling north-easterly breeze

Makes this hot day bearable.

There is a girl wading through the soft beach break

With her feet she is digging for pippies*

Around her neck she carries a dilly bag

Where she stores the small shell fish.

I watch as she moves methodically along the beach

Her nakedness apparent

For this is a place where she can be herself.

Her body is athletic

Her breasts pointed into her future

She is focused on her task.

She blows off any would be attractions

Turns away from the stares of those

Encased in their own ignorance.

I watch as she turns and makes her way back.

There is no doubt she is a beautiful sight

She gives me a brief smile as she passes

I smile back as her bottom disappears over the dunes.

Moments later she is back

Plops beside me, her body now covered.

She slips her arm into mine

Lays her head upon my shoulder

We sit together, the sun beats down

We are glad we are here.

*Pippies are a small shell fish found in the sand on Australian beaches. They are a delicacy and much sort after such that some locations have restrictions on how many you can take from the beach at any one time.

Written for: http://www.adashofsunny.com/prompt-nights-summer-sets-upon-earths-bosom-bare-19/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Prompt Nights – Summer sets upon earth’s bosom bare

1. Sumana Roy says:

cool…& warm too…beautiful visuals…

2. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Whistles!! Such glorious depictions along the sandy beach in your poem, Michael 😀 especially love the images of “cooling north-easterly breeze” and “I watch as she turns and makes her way back.There is no doubt she is a beautiful sight.” Sigh… beautifully executed. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support ❤ ❤

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

Thank you Sanaa its my pleasure I liked this prompt even though its a cold winter day here and also I am enjoying reaping all your love each week…that’s pretty cool you know…

3. oldegg says:

That makes me feel quite at home collecting pippies on the beach. I take it she was putting them in the Esky in the Holden to keep cold. I still can’t wipe the smile off my face.

4. Jae Rose says:

Such a clever story/poem – the ending so unexpected but shines like the very best sunrise..

5. I smiled at her with the speaker. When she joins them, my heart warms for them… and I feel like screaming a, “Yes!”

It is a wonderful thing when we are just find with ourselves and the world. And when someone else can see it with us, well… that’s just perfect. ♥♥

6. This made me smile, Michael. Such lovely observations 🙂

7. elleceef says:

How sweet and such a lovely image to take away,,

8. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Lovely – and what a sweet surprise ending.

Thanks Rosemary, glad you found the ending a surprise…..sometimes life is about being who you are and going out and doing it, of course knowing you have the greatest of support behind you….

9. As delicate as a snowflake and sweet as a sun ripened strawberry. Lovely

10. mandibelle16 says:

Cute. So nice she does not feel exposed, just herself.