Tuesday Poetics: Summer Starter

76374288

My summer is upside down

If you stand on your head you get an idea,

For I live where it is not summer.

Outside the winter has arrived

A cold wind blows

One I’m sure has been holidaying in the Antarctic.

I am envious of my northern friends

For whom hot days and nights are now the norm

Gardens being attended

Weeds pulled, paths cleared,

Fresh mulch spread

The sense of summer joy at growth

Of new blooms and the fruits of their labors.

I think this as I huddle closer to the fire

Rugs around my legs

Soup on the stove

For me a season of hot pots

Warm nights with family

Cosy together, once again.

Written for: Tuesday Poetics: Summer Starter

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Tuesday Poetics: Summer Starter

1. I love the flip. Understanding it’s not all summer to all people. But your take on this is sound and strong. Well crafted poem.

2. Nice…summer is ok; I prefer fall. 🙂

3. whimsygizmo says:

I shall trade you. 😉 Happily. 114 here today, in Southern Nevada.

4. I think our summer might be quite close to your winter though… Not so very warm as we get closer to midsummer. But I do see the flip.

5. kim881 says:

A wonderful antipodean angle on summer, Michael! I have a nephew in New Zealand, where it has been snowing!

6. Shadeau says:

I love every word of your masterful writing–and oh how I LOVE the photo… 🙂

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Oh! It must be so strange for Summer to be cooler instead of being warmer..
    Beautifully penned Michael 🙂

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

8. I love the way you pull us all in round your fire. Have a cosy winter!

9. kanzensakura says:

As hot as it is here today, the thought of soup and fireplace seems a good trade. We forget it isn’t summer every where, as if it is only our weather that matters. I like this flip of our season so very much. I love the fall and winter and this is lovely for it.

10. Ah but in our winter, we envy you! So maybe we are turned upside down too? Lovely, as always, Michael.

11. Love this. I can relate to this feeling because that’s how I feel when winter starts here. I envy our neighbors in the southern hemisphere.

Warm nights with family
    Cosy together, once again.

Mmmm, sounds delightful. Makes it worth the minus 3 (Celsius) we sometimes get here in the morning, although today it was a balmy 3 degrees 🙂 Our wood burner fire usually means a big pot of my son-in-law’s pea and ham soup is always ready for a quick hearty snack.

13. Mish says:

I like the opening line!
    Every season has it’s perks…and I would say homemade soup is what I love most about winter…maybe the only thing. Stay warm!

14. Being under the scorching rays of the sun is not what it’s cracked up to be. 🙂

15. lillian says:

Ah — there are the opposites of seasons around this globe! 🙂 A time of warm fires and hotpots indeed! 🙂 I prefer the middle seasons — crisp cool Octobers and lovely warming May days.