Moral Mondays: “Spare the rod, spoil the child”

moral_mondays_logo

Mr Carson believed in not sparing the rod. Every night you’d hear him dishing it out to his sons Paul and Steve.

They bore it all until they were teenagers when they rebelled and forced their father to stop the nightly ritual.

Mr Carson was devastated; he argued with his sons that it was for their benefit.

In old age he wondered why his sons ignored him. They never visited, never called, never invited him, anywhere.

Written for: https://moralmondays.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/moral-mondays-spare-the-rod-spoil-the-child/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Moral Mondays: “Spare the rod, spoil the child”

1. weebluebirdie says:

I know a family of six; the youngest cut himself off 35 years ago, and this is why.

Yes its sad isn’t it. I was a father of six, their mother believed in the moral, I didn’t, my kids talk to me, we have a lot of interaction, with their mother they have very little.

Kids not only need boundaries, they feel safer with them. Kids need discipline, but they don’t need cruelty. I remember receiving the business end of a razor strop when I was a kid. It didn’t make me a better person because there was no justice involved.
    On a lighter note, I remember hearing the story about the new matron at a smallish hospital. The head doctor showed her around the maternity ward and pointed out a tiny, sickly little premie and said proudly, “This is our first baby born through artificial insemination.” The matron harrumphed and replied, “Well, if that doesn’t prove the saying ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’ I don’t know what does!” 😮

3. Soul Gifts says:

Boundaries yes, limits yes, rod – no.

4. Sonya says:

“He’d been brought up the same way and thought himself an ok sort of guy and he wanted the same for his sons.” Great line, it tells so much about the character. He doesn’t mean to be cruel, but he doesn’t know any different and he never took the time to think about whether it’s right or wrong. Nicely done!

Thanks Sonya, so many men especially of my dad’s vintage had only their fathers as role models. Thankfully my dad was able to mellow as he aged and saw other ways of being a dad.

5. mandibelle16 says:

Sad story. He confused loving with beating his boys. Shows the moral well.

6. Nortina S. says:

A very compelling story. It sounds like the father meant well, but maybe he wasn’t adequately taught the significance of discipline. Instead, he took a very common understanding that he grew up with and made it way too literal, and for that, his family suffered. Great writing!

7. That’s a sad ending. An abusive father will not have sons who love him.

I wrote a fable called “The Lying Wolf.” If you would like to read it, I am open to any feedback: https://christopherjohnlindsay.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/the-lying-wolf/