Haibun Monday #13 – Walking

Today’s task to write a compact (not more than three paragraphs) haibun inspired by the concept of walking.

Outside this morning it is windy, the first strong winds of the season. We are heading out of autumn and towards winter and I feel the chill in the air as the temperatures begin to reflect the season. Either way it is the most pleasant time to be walking.

It’s not so cold as to be rugged up just yet and by the time I reach the top of the first hill I am feeling my body warm up and small beads of perspiration form along my upper lip. My puffing slightly, more from a lack of fitness than anything else.

Walking in this weather along old familiar paths is somewhat hard this morning. My feet are acting up, complaining, suggesting I go home get off them. Old age sucks I know that and soon surgery will help alleviate the discomfort. But on a beautiful cool breezy morning there is no better place than outside one foot in front of the other making my way there and back.

buffeting winds

winter approaches at last

refreshing my soul

Written for: https://dversepoets.com/2016/05/09/haibun-monday-13-walking/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Haibun Monday #13 – Walking

1. Grace says:

One foot at a time, one step at a time ~ Love the autumn walk (as we are in our spring season) Michael ~ The cool air can be refreshing and I hope the surgery will be a success ~

2. I too am refreshed by Autumn walks. Allbest in your surgery so you can enjoy your walks more

3. kanzensakura says:

End of spring, beginning of summer here. I do like the winter walks best although it tortures my arthritis. One step at a time, one joy at a time…there and back and next day, again. Best wshes in the coming surgery! Not sure what you are having but a friend of mine has had both her feet operated one at separate times. She says it is like beginning again. Hope it turns out well for you.

4. I love the haiku that closes this out. There is something cleansing about the approach of winter, isn’t there? Best of luck with your surgery. I’ve had health problems in the past that’ve made long walks– one life’s most simple, joyous experiences– difficult to undertake, so I know the feeling (it sucks). But, as you write, it’s worthwhile for the sense of invigoration and well-being you feel in the end. I hope you’re back to feeling like your old self soon : )

5. I think you are so right, the walking when it get cools down, when you can find that spot and all is almost perfect. Sorry about your feet acting up.. walking is so important but sometimes we seem to be battling our own limitations… wonderful closing haiku.

6. kim881 says:

I’m with you there, Michael. Walking in the colder months is so refreshing!

7. Bravo to those of us who ignore the pains of aging and keep on walking. We’re having spring winds!

8. Having to get fit again for longer walks. Planning a few days’ hiking and it’s no joke! Enjoyed the trip with you, huffing and puffing too!

9. lillian says:

in the autumn season of our lives………tis walking that soothes the soul……..one foot in front of the other, one step at a time. Thankful for every day.

10. whimsygizmo says:

One foot in front of the other…YES.

11. This really expresses the love of a good walk and I’m sorry it has become more difficult. It does seem to be a problem as we grow older so hope your op goes well and puts the spring back in your walks!

12. Fall is my most favourite season for all things — especially walking when the air is crisp like a tart apple, and the artist’s palette has splattered across the trees.
    Hope the surgery goes well, and you will be able to experience fall on enjoyable walks again. Walking is as good for the spirit/soul as it is for the physical.
    Sending good thoughts your way.

13. wildchild47 says:

Well that totally is not cool that you hobble and limp along ….. but I’m hoping that all will be well after your surgery and treatment. But good on you to get out there, and walk it anyhow, providing the aftermath isn’t too painful. And you’re quite right – the changing of the seasons to cooler, more comfortable weather really is refreshing, pleasant and good for the heart and soul 🙂

Lovely write Michael. Be well 🙂

Thank you Pat, I’m doing ok…..hope you are the same…

• wildchild47 says:

hanging in …. and hobbling about 🙂

I bet my hobble is worse than yours…lol

• wildchild47 says:

maybe …. I don’t know – what’s your problem, if you don’t mind the question?

Mine …. arthritis (from work) and probably a genetic variety too …. and there are days when my feet look like crabs – toes trying to curl and cross over each other – really nasty. Add wearing some one else’s hips every so often (bloody joints) and I swear I look like a wobbly troll wandering down the road 😉

But still …. I shall laugh …. and try to walk …. I love walking ….

No can’t match that Pat, mine is old age and a touch of arthritis seizing up my toe joints….

• wildchild47 says:

oh ouch ouch ouch! there is nothing like the crunching of joints that don’t want to bend – I can so sympathize Michael! not pleasant or comfortable …. and when we consider just how much weight our feet have carried in life …. well hell, time to sit back and have a brew (alcoholic or not) and rest a bit 😉

I’m very good at resting Pat, if there was a PhD to be had in resting I think I would have several by now…

• wildchild47 says:

LOL – well I don’t think there is anything at all wrong with this XD

14. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Yes, winter walks can be the best!