FFfAW – Week of 04-19-2016 – Uncle Joan

photo-20160418071828242

Image: TJ Paris

When Uncle Joan built the windmill in the back yard most of us thought he had well and truly lost his marbles. He was a strange relative. He was adamant we had ancestral ties to the little known Dutch pirate Klaus Vander Bergernfries, whose only claim to fame was sailing his ship out of the harbour and blowing himself up in an attempt to find treasure he believed was in the bottom of the harbour.

Uncle Joan who in my childhood was Uncle John had a lot of issues, so my mother said, identity being one of them.

Once the windmill was built he spent an inordinate amount of time locked inside writing his own version of the Bergernfries saga. So much of it he made up, if not the whole lot for I could never find any record of a pirate by that name. But it never deterred him, he dressed as a pirate and had an “Ahhhhhh” anyone would be envious of.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/fffaw-week-of-04-19-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to FFfAW – Week of 04-19-2016 – Uncle Joan

1. Jon Stephens says:

Arrr, Matey! Bein’ locked in a windmill is good for the piracy, aye!

Fun story. Very picturesque!

2. tjparis says:

Very quirky and unexpected.

3. Hahahaha! Uncle Bergernfries! That made me really laugh. Poor guy has an identity issue but at least he is happy sitting inside his windmill writing the pirate saga. LOL!! Cute story, Michael. Thanks for the laugh!

4. I think I would like to work inside the windmill! I guess that means I probably have issues as well, LOL! This story made me grin so I am very happy to have read it!

5. swritings says:

This was a fun story! 🙂

6. mandibelle16 says:

Uncle Joan seems like an interesting character. Hopefully he/she was a good writer at least?

7. samratkel says:

A lot of complexity in so few words – nicely done!!

@Samantha/samratkel from
    Shadow Realities

8. luckyjc007 says:

Funny. Sounds like he was just a fun loving guy that enjoyed his life no matter what others thought.

9. Loretta says:

“Bergernfries” cracked me up! Funny story.

10. A lot of stories wrapped in Uncle Joan. Quite the colourful fella