Poetics : Poetry is for the Birds – A Pandemonium of Parrots

Calyptorhynchus_funereus_-Flinders,_Victoria,_Australia_-male-8

Around my place

Live parrots of many kinds.

The pink galahs are abundant

They come and feed upon

The seeds in my gum tree.

The Sulphur Crested cockatoos

Fly majestically across my yard

They feed across the way

On my neighbours farm

Chewing the succulent lucerne seeds.

But my favourite

The one parrot I am in awe of

Is the prehistoric black cockatoo.

It gives meaning to the term

A pandemonium of parrots.

Though I tend to favour a raucous of parrots.

They have only two sounds

Loud and louder.

I watch them fly across the sky

Wildly chatting to each other

Seemingly saying the one same thing

“Wait for me?”

The black cockatoo

Its elongated neck

Its striking flourish of yellow tail feathers.

A bird of purpose, of character

A majesty all its own.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2016/03/22/poetics-poetry-is-for-the-birds/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Poetics : Poetry is for the Birds – A Pandemonium of Parrots

1. whimsygizmo says:

Oh! I so love this! A raucous of parrots? A pandemonium? Are you kidding me? Fantastic! Love this piece.

• Well google says it’s a pandemonium of parrots which is fine but if you ever heard black cockatoos the term ‘raucous’ fits better….thanks De for the encouraging comment…

2. Grace says:

I would love to see those parrots and marvel at the noise (for a short time only as I know they can be quite noisy) ~ The black cockatoo with yellow feathers is just majestic Michael ~

A lovely share, thanks for joining us ~

3. Bodhirose says:

It seems most parrots, no matter what kind, are raucous and loud! We tried to keep a couple when my daughters were growing up but found we weren’t suited to all the noise…and mess. I love your fond description of your favorite black cockatoo. And most parrots are very intelligent too aren’t they?
    Gayle ~

4. lynn__ says:

I was not familiar with the black cockatoo…a raucous write!

5. Only loud and louder… Raucous sounds like the perfect collective noun.

6. love your pandemonium of parrots, Michael 🙂

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

This is lovely Michael 🙂 I could picture those magnificent birds.
    Beautifully written.

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

8. wildchild47 says:

It’s amazing to experience, through your words, the diversity of wild life in its abundance, although I’m sure there are times when the raucous pandemonium is a bit too much – a heavy metal rock concert in your backyard 😉

Great piece Michael – love the delight and wonder you have conveyed 🙂

9. Mary says:

Michael, I really enjoyed seeing your view with you! To see a raucous of parrots in one’s backyard would be magical to someone who lives where I do. Smiles!

10. felicity says:

These are my favorites:

“The one parrot I am in awe of
    Is the prehistoric black cockatoo”

“They have only two sounds
    Loud and louder.”

And the llast 7 or 8 lines.

11. I adore parrots of all kinds! This is perfect and they are loud and louder!

12. I like that the prompt brought you to share your admiration for this bird. Nice! 🙂

13. Brilliant tribute to some amazing parrots. How wonderful to have wild cockatoos even if noisy!

14. So many birds