Open Link Night # 167 – Stupidity

44e0cd7d9f03f5b5a89cfaff8bb59aec

The learned professor

Stands at the dais notes ready:

“ ‘Stupid is as stupid does.’

So Forrest said all those years ago.

It is true I’ve led a stupid life.

Stupid decisions

With stupid women.

A stupid dictated to life

Led by the short and curlies

Until I didn’t know up from down.

Some days I barely survived

Caught in tirades and torture

Stupidly thinking it would be ok

To abide with the ideologically stupid.

I paid a price; I know I’m retarded

I crawl each night, tail between my legs

Into my small comfortable hole

Just right for a stupid person.

We stupid people dream a lot

It’s all we have.

Dreams and schemes

For those days when

Stupid is the only way

To rationalise an irrational life.”

The learned Professor

Gathers his notes, sits down.

Written for: http://dversepoets.com/2016/03/03/open-link-night-167/

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Open Link Night # 167 – Stupidity

1. Mary says:

I feel sorry for this person really with such low self esteem that he considers himself ‘stupid’ in so many things.

2. I’m not a professor but I can relate to his speech. There are days I feel the same way. This poem is wonderful, Michael!

3. kanzensakura says:

While my internet is behaving….I have those stupid days too. And usually, I find it is me doing it to me and not someone else doing it to me. A friend once said, thank God I’m stupid…the world today would kill me otherwise….

4. Grace says:

I was wondering why he felt like he is living a stupid life and making irrational decisions ~ Isn’t he a learned professor ~ At some point though, we all feel like we have done a stupid move looking back, so I can empathize with the thoughts ~

• I think Grace I am emphasising that even the so called ‘learned’ can get it wrong. Learned to me just means you spent a long time studying one particular topic, it doesn’t mean you have any common sense or foresight…..having learned such life lessons myself….thanks for stopping by, hope you are well and have a great weekend.

5. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Touched my heart.. we have all done stupid things which we are not proud of.. but hey life goes on. Beautifully penned. 🙂

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

6. “We stupid people dream a lot… it’s all we have” – I fear that this is me…. for a poem with such repeated use of “stupid”, this is very dense, and worth several repeat readings 🙂

7. Oh boy, do I know how stupid the learned can be — hiding behind jargon and ego. “We stupid people dream a lot/It’s all we have/Dreams and schemes/For those days when/Stupid is the only way/To rationalise an irrational life.” Fantastic lines. As a stupid person, I related! You got it covered. I never think of you as a stupid person, however!

8. cayn says:

I really like this, especially,
    “We stupid people dream a lot
    It’s all we have.”

9. Bodhirose says:

You can be a brilliant scholar but be ‘stupid’ about so many other things about life. And I’ve found a lot of people are ‘stupid’ when it comes to common sense…which isn’t very common at all apparently. I guess it’s a struggle for all of us at some point not to be stupid! Thanks for pointing that out for us! 🙂

10. There are so many ways we can be stupid… Given how much it’s been said about others it has its advantages to know you can rationalize and be a little stupid.

11. kim881 says:

I’ve felt like this too – it seems some of us make the same mistakes over and over, even though we’ve learnt the lesson, something in us just keeps being stupid. But that’s OK.

12. wildchild47 says:

welcome to the world university of everlasting learning … where degrees are optionally delusional and the promised outcome is the right honorable title of “stupid is as stupid does” SIASD …which sadly, does not imply you are wholly unique in any way – enjoy!

Seriously …. well penned with the repetition reinforcing the ideas and “negative double talk” that we so often find ourselves repeating until believing for we honestly feel like there is no way out … you have captured the heavy-handedness of the vicious cycle all too well and familiar.

And for the record …. I honestly don’t think for one nanosecond or hours at a time that you are “stupid” …. human … prone to mistakes … and thankfully …. courage, strength and learning … the kind that doesn’t come from a slip of paper with grades on it 🙂

13. Raivenne says:

No matter how learned one becomes, life as a way causing us to hoist ourselves on our own petards. We all carry self-deprecating “I’m with Stupid” placards from time to time. Excellent write.

14. Watching the politicians these days…. well, I’ve been thinking of “stupid” a lot! Learned does NOT mean wise!

• Yes Margaret there seems to be a lot of it in political circles at present. Stupid doesn’t discriminate between social or economic groups. Thanks for stopping by.

15. mandibelle16 says:

Great poem. What an awful way to spend a lifetime only acting stupidly.. It is sad because I think he knows better, but he doesn’t make the effort to turn around and find the better solution.

16. Abhra says:

Very interesting subject and the whole treatment here – I guess there are reasons to be stupid everywhere. Welcome to OLN. Have a good weekend.

17. I suspect that we have a crisis of poor self esteem here–and it seems to be a global endemic. And then there are those on the opposite side of the coin..

18. Bryan Ens says:

Sometimes “stupid” IS the only way to rationalize an irrational life.

19. We all do “stupid” from time to time! We should all be so accepting of our flaw! A superb write! Thank you!

20. SMiLes.. SmArt feels