FFfAW-Week of 12-29-2015 – Bert

photo-20151228061913907

My Grandfather Bert was a collector. He had a thing for the works of man. No matter what it was if someone had bothered to create it and construct it Bert felt obliged to not only recognise it but also honour it in the way he saw fit.

This was usually in the form of mounting whatever it was and placing it in his front yard to show his neighbours.

We called his place the home for lost things. So much of the stuff he had standing around looking important was beyond description in terms of understanding what it actually was.

But Bert never let use stand in the way of his tribute. When asked what it might be used for he’d say: ‘It’s a wigwam for a goose’s bridle.’ And that would be it, no other explanation required. Everyone would nod and go about their business wondering what craziness they’d see the next week.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2015/12/29/fffaw-week-of-12-29-2015/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to FFfAW-Week of 12-29-2015 – Bert

1. Grandfather Bert sounds like a very interesting character. I can only imagine what his yard must look like and I imagine there are some art out there that’s worth money! Great story!

2. Grandmother Bert must have been very tolerant.

3. mandibelle16 says:

Hmm… He is a bit of a hoarder and a collector of old treasures. Treasures to him but garbage to everyone else. I wonder what he sees in the pieces he finds? Great writing!

4. “‘It’s a wigwam for a goose’s bridle:” as a Canadian, I know what that means, lol.
    Wonderful fun.

5. At least his not harming anyone and his happy.
    Win-win situation if you ask me.

6. luckyjc007 says:

Nice story! 🙂 Bert is having fun inventing all kinds of things out of lost items for his delight as well as others! He seems to have a way of making the old seem new again.

7. Mandy says:

Luckily Granddad Bert didn’t live in the day of Home Owner’s Associations–he got to collect his treasures and live happily ever after. Nowadays “collectors,” where I live, have to keep their treasures indoors, thus creating the need for the reality show: “Hoarders”. 😀

8. afairymind says:

Bert’s garden sounds like an interesting place! Great story, Michael. 🙂

9. Sonya says:

I like Bert and his appreciation for other people’s work. Lovely take on the prompt 🙂

10. swritings says:

Now that’s one yard I’d love to visit! 🙂

11. How wonderful. He paid tribute to unknown artists and had fun, a hobby, and gave people something to think about, all at the same time. 🙂 Fabulous.