Friday Fictioneers November 17/18 – Below the Grid

ce-grate

PHOTO PROMPT © C.E. Ayr

The E48 grid lay on the southern side of East Street. It was unusual in that it harboured a secret.

Below the metal grid lay a strange world teeming with life.

It was largely invisible to the human eye but visible if you looked the right way.

It was a most benevolent world free from conflict and argument and completely devoid of religion. The creatures in this world had conquered compatibility and could never understand the penchant for the above the grids to kill each other in the senseless ways they observed.

They kept the grid firmly locked down.

Written for: https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/20-november-2015/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, writing challenge and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Friday Fictioneers November 17/18 – Below the Grid

1. … and who can blame them? Nice, thought-provoking snapshot.

2. Better to be safe than sorry.

3. Sounds like a good place to be!

4. They are so much smarter than we. Best they keep that grid secure. Nice one!

5. ceayr says:

Great social comment, Sir ST2, very appropriate.
    And good to see you again.

6. Mike says:

Sounds like an ideal place to live. Great story.

7. micklively says:

Peace be upon you.
    Good piece.

8. I shall find that place and join them asap. Great idea and pertinent to what’s happening in other places.

9. Wouldn’t that be a nice place to be right about now with all of the violence in the world… great story Michael! 😉

10. Good for them! Very timely piece.

11. I think we should switch places.. we belong below under that grid I think.. save the planet by switching

12. Nice fairytale. If only …..
    Tracey

13. Dear SS2,

It’s good to see you back here. I hear John Lennon singing “Imagine.” Oh for the world under the grid. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

14. J Lapis says:

Sometimes “locked down” is for the best.

15. Hooray for the “under-the-grid” culture.
    What’s the password? I’d like in…
    Randy

16. Good idea to keep that grid locked down. Very good take on the prompt! 🙂

17. I don’t blame them for safeguarding themselves. Our world can be pretty chaotic.

18. gahlearner says:

Help! Can I go in now? I wish… great story.

19. I want to migrate to below-the-grid. Is there a way?

20. I too wonder if there’s anyway to get admittance to that world. Great response to the prompt!

21. Arl's World says:

How wonderful that would be above the grid. 🙂

22. Dale says:

Yep… wise choice to keep that grid locked down tight!

23. Jenn says:

Very creative take.

24. Room for me too? Below the grid sounds a fantastic place to be in this day and age.

25. Ah, if only to be able to live ‘below the grid.’ Great flash fiction.

26. The Voice says:

Were they keeping the lid locked down for their safety or ours? Hmmm… Now I want to know what lurks below in the depths. 🙂

27. Sightsnbytes says:

nice story. Now you have me zooming the picture so that I may look into the grate…

28. Susan says:

such a fine idea. Reminds me a little of “The Dome” concept from Stephen King. 🙂

29. Oliana says:

Well done, Michael! who would have thought that Nirvana was underground:)

30. Amy Reese says:

And they are right to do so, Michael. I wish I could live there with them. Great story!

31. Pingback: Digging graves with racial panic | Stop the Stigma

32. Margaret says:

The down-below people are wise to keep the grid locked. A most imaginative take on the prompt.

33. rogershipp says:

Locked in their own safe world. It would be interesting to see how their world handles disagreements.., Nice take on the prompt.