SoCS Oct 17/15 – Still

socs-badge-2015

This week’s prompt: ‘still’

Sit still.

Hold still.

I wont tell you again.

Sit still.

Its takes longer if you don’t sit still.

Stop it.

WHACK. A blow landed across my head.

I was stunned.

I sat still after that.

Fear does that to you.

I was six years old when that happened.

I was at the dentist and the dentist was the one who hit me in front of my mother as well.

I was so traumatised I hated the thought of ever going to the dentist. To this day even with modern techniques of dentistry I have that fear in my head.

When the dentist says hold still I hold still.

Still when I think back on it I didn’t help my situation. I was terrified at what this guy was doing to me. Pain and me just don’t make good bedfellows. Obviously I have been back to the dentist a few times over the years even had two root canals done. Now that’s an interesting experience. Its like having a building site constructed on and in your mouth and the dentist then crawls around inside drilling and picking and whatever he/she feels like while I am numbed out of it and having nothing else to do but lie still. Even when the dentist is a very attractive young Brazilian lady the thought of her digging holes in your mouth and filling them leaves you wondering what conversation must be like around the dinner table with her. Of course its sheer speculation when you are lying still for fear of moving and her drill slipping and hitting something it shouldn’t hit.

Still waters run deep they say. I felt that needed to be said.

I must be off as grandad’s still is in need of some upkeep.

Written for: http://lindaghill.com/2015/10/16/the-friday-reminder-and-prompt-for-socs-oct-1715/

This entry was posted in SOC, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to SoCS Oct 17/15 – Still

1. emiliopasquale says:

Great job. I’ve never had a fear of dentists. A fear of barbers, but not of dentists!

Oh my! I had a similar experience when I was about that age. The dentist had been to lunch…a wet one. He clamped my mouth open and tied my arms to the chair with purpose attached straps. I’ve been terrified of dentists ever since. When I was older, my mother always took me to the Sydney Dental Hospital – that was like a process line with a heap of dentist’s chairs in one room and lots of newly graduated or training dentists. The nightmare continues 😦

3. JoAnna says:

That makes me mad at that dentist who hit you. I want him to apologize, but maybe karma will get him. I’m so thankful to have a nice dentist, and I love the comfy chairs that make me fantasize about a nap right about the time somebody comes in and starts poking around.

4. J Lapis says:

This was a great mixed bag, Michael–at first I was cringing with you (I had a dentist threaten me when I was a child–no parent to witness); and then I was laughing through the 2nd half of the story. ‘Course it’s still only funny because it’s your experience, not mine!

5. Imagine if a professional hit you now! How much money you could receive! Lol. You poor thing though, that would have scared you for life. The dentist is a home away from home for me, most of mouth are crowns, that’s not to say I enjoy going, but I’m used to them more now.

6. I cannot imagine the dentist whacking you. That was a story that was terrifying on a number of levels. (I hate the dentist myself)

7. It is crazy to think about a dentist hitting a child and they’re not getting sued. And that other woman talking about being strapped in. I like to think this would never happen here. We have dentists who specialize as children’s dentists and their offices are all decorated very cheerfully and I did not notice any straps when I took my kids there. I have always been afraid of the possible pain at the dentist and have gone through the dental procedures you describe. Even though they don’t hit me or strap me in I still don’t like it. 🙂

8. Susan Langer says:

Very interesting and well done. A lot of us have fears of dentists. Mine was because they didn’t even numb your mouth to fill a tooth. 🙂

9. Modern dentistry — even watching interactive computer graphic “x-rays” of my mouth — still has the vibrations and sound of the drill.
    As her memories of childhood dental trauma banged against her skull, she thought. “Must de damn-fine writing to still keep me reading, and wanting more.”

10. Tessa says:

That doesn’t help my fears of the dentist and he hit you? Oh my. Bad news.

11. jetgirlcos says:

Holy cow! Yikes! Can’t even imagine this! My fear of dentists is completely irrational. Yours is completely rational!

12. Al says:

I like that. I like the way you told it and the explanations. The building site made me laugh

13. LindaGHill says:

The things professionals used to get away with, eh? Makes me wonder what I’m forgetting that’s made me so afraid of dentists… 😛
    So what’s in the still, Michael?