Photo Challenge #77, Golden Hour, September 8, 2015 – Life Is…..

01-golden-hour-by-maciej-koniuszy

Life can seem like that at times

That we are going no where.

That day to day it’s a case of the doldrums.

We can float through life with purpose

Direction and focus

Or we meander aimlessly

From one support to another

Where life is meaningless

And the alternative does become

A way to rid ourselves of the pain we feel

And so often the purposelessness

That life has become.

Its not always our fault

The circumstances of a person’s life

So often comes into play.

It is never for us to judge another’s actions.

A wise man once said to me

We cannot know what was happening

In a person’s mind in the moments before

They made that fatal choice.

I have known students I taught

Who took their own lives

And on every occasion

I recalled them as kids sitting in my classroom.

They were innocent, intelligent,

Had unknown potential

Which amounted to nothing years later

When they stepped into eternity.

September 10 worldwide is World Suicide Prevention Day

Below is the number for folk in the USA to go to for help.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255

In Australia: http://suicidepreventionaust.org/

Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/photo-challenge-77-golden-hour-september-8-2015/

This entry was posted in Poetry, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Photo Challenge #77, Golden Hour, September 8, 2015 – Life Is…..

I’ve known people who have committed suicide. It’s so, so sad no matter the circumstances. The people left behind are given a life sentence of wondering “why?”

2. This is heart-breaking Michael. I have come close myself but boy am I am glad I did not succeed.

3. Pingback: Think: paul, marc, and Suicide Prevention Day – Phylor's Blog

4. mandy says:

You live in Australia, I live in the US, and suicide has touched us both. That tells us that feelings of hopelessness and despair really are worldwide. Thank you so much for bringing awareness to this issue and Suicide Awareness Day + Suicide Prevention Month (September). I hope people (including myself) can remember, when they feel like giving up, the reason why they’ve held on for so long. We all have a purpose, even if it takes a lifetime to figure it out. Thank you, Michael.

• Thanks Mandy, your comment is much appreciated and yes recognising our purpose in life and traveling that journey can take us a lifetime.

• You are right Mandy those feelings are universal no matter where you live, no matter your circumstance, your feelings of loss and missing their presence in your day can be overwhelming. Those moments of desperation of wanting to reach out to them can be so fraught with your own kind of wretchedness that you sometimes wonder if you can stand it a day longer.

5. I have been blessed from that particular pain.. there is rarely a good reason to cross the border, and very few really wants to do it.. I have talked a friend out of these thoughts once.. so happy I did.

6. lbeth1950 says:

Thanks for writing this. I wish the world understood that depression is an illness as surely as cancer or diabetes. Treatment can really change things. I’ve lost loved ones to suicide. It’s heartbreaking. Re blogging.

• Thank you so much, for visiting and your comment, I have a friend who is blogging this month on suicide awareness and I think you may follow her blog anyway, but thanks for the reblog I think its such a terrible thing in that it impacts so much on survivors as well as leaves us so often dumbfounded as to why.

7. lbeth1950 says:

Reblogged this on Nutsrok and commented:
    Reblogged on Nutsrok. Please reach out for help or to help another.

8. Valida Muse says:

Thank you for this beautifully compassionate write, Michael. God has always dragged me back from my attempts…which gives added meaning to the label “failure”. Depression is a real and hideous disease, made worse by the stigma attached to it. I would trade it for any condition viewed as more “legitimate”. I won’t belabor the unkind responses I’ve had tossed at me–some from professionals who should know better. To have to hide it, and constantly reassure others that I’m “fine” is exhausting….and increases the isolation. Maybe that’s part of why I change blogs frequently. Anyway, I appreciate your words. Maybe Sept 10 can be a day of celebration, rather than grieving–we can all hope and pray.

9. Miss Lou says:

Beautiful, compassionate piece of writing, Michael. Reminded me immediately of the phrase; ‘Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always’

It’s very easy to be on the outside, looking in and to sit in judgement. I’m guilty of this myself, in many things.

Thanks for sharing.

ML
    xx

10. Pingback: Nat’l Suicide Prevention Week | VALIDA'S VAGARIES

11. amommasview says:

Powerful. It’s important to reach out. Listen, really listen. Be there… Thanks for sharing this.

12. Bastet says:

This poem, well written in its straightforward simplicity leaves me with a empty feeling of sadness … what a shattering loss.