Mondays Finish the Story – August 31st, 2015 – Uncle Earl

2015-08-31-bw-beacham

Image: Barbara Beacham

Finish the story begins with:  “The cemetery spread along the area known as Devils Abode.”

It was a devil of a place to get too. Uphill all the way.

Every villain and miscreant ended up buried deep should in the next life they be considered for a second crack at life.

Uncle Earl was buried on a Saturday. Aunt Kate asked us to go up and make sure the hole was dug.

There was a hole but only three feet deep. Earl needed a good six feet just to be safe. So we had to shed our coats and dig it the extra three feet.

Kate wanted a quick service so as to get to the wake. We arrived at the cemetery to discover the gravediggers didn’t work on Saturday. We boys once again set about the task of filling in the hole.

Kate stood and watched.

‘He’s safe now,’ she said. ‘He ain’t coming back the miserable bastard.’

Written for: https://mondaysfinishthestory.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/mondays-finish-the-story-august-31st-2015/

This entry was posted in MFTS, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Mondays Finish the Story – August 31st, 2015 – Uncle Earl

1. Widow Veil says:

Well, at the risk of driving you crazy yet again, you know that I read carefully–so I got hung up on why the wake would be After they buried him; doesn’t the wake come before the funeral and burial?

2. lbeth1950 says:

Oh, we will be friends!

3. Tessa says:

What a great story.

4. Sonya says:

He must have been quite a bastard if Aunt Kate went through so much trouble… Nicely done!

5. Graham Lawrence says:

A nice story with a bite at the end!

6. From her last thought, that’s going to be one happy wake! Good story!!

7. Safe and six feet deep! Surely not able to return, but from the Devils Abode, who knows? I truly enjoyed your tale, well done!

8. Great story Michael, I really enjoyed it. That was a great ending line!

9. babso2you says:

Hopefully the boys compacted the earth on top too. Just to be on the safe side. Nicely done Michael and thanks for writing yet again! Be well… ^..^

10. Shivangi says:

Good riddance for aunt Kate…..loved the take 🙂

11. Oliana says:

Great story, Michael!! I read a comment, so you bury a loved one like the Irish..we celebrate afterwards, That is what I want and have started my list of songs to play 🙂

12. mandy says:

“The Parting Glass” I’d never heard before. Really beautiful, Michael.

13. afairymind says:

I think there’s going to lot’s of celebrating at that wake! I hope they dug the grave deep enough to prevent him from ever returning – he obviously wasn’t a pleasant fellow! A good story, Michael. 🙂

14. phlor says:

Loreena McKennitt does a very haunting version of The Parting Glass on Wind That Shakes the Barley (2010).

15. Fun Simplicity says:

The ending is humorous (well, at least I felt that way 😉). In fact, I actually laugh out loud! Sorry…I know I’m not being good here. I shouldn’t laugh at the dead, but isn’t Aunt Kate glad too? 😊