Poetry 101 Rehab: Rubbish

badge-rectangle

This week’s prompt: Rubbish

Bottlesplastictoystrolleys

Bagspaperbikesbottles

Floatingstuckdiscarded

Chokingsuckingkilling.

Its what I see in my mangrove forest

The tide comes in, brings in its refuse

It tangles in the trees upright roots

Doesn’t rot just hangs about.

How hard can it be?

There’s a bin in every street

Signs requesting your care

Our eco system is dying.

I picked up a dead fish

A ring top round its neck

A turtle entangled with string

They never stood a chance.

It’s our world we are polluting

So easy to chuck your rubbish

When you don’t care it doesn’t matter.

When you are the last man standing

Maybe

You

Will?

Written for: http://maraeastern.com/2015/06/01/poetry-101-rehab-rubbish/

This entry was posted in Poetry, writing challenge and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Poetry 101 Rehab: Rubbish

1. Suzanne says:

Well said. It is terrible just how much rubbish floats around on the sea.

2. mandy says:

Such an important message, and disregarded by most. Every time I see balloons released into the sky in celebration or commemoration I cringe, knowing some animal somewhere will suffer. And if you ever see a delicate hummingbird in the grass, struggling because it’s beautiful long beak is tangled in in a gooey wad of chewing gum, you’ll never toss your spent gum on the ground again. Thank you for this reminder, Michael.

3. JackieP says:

Well said, sir, well said.

4. Mara Eastern says:

Wow, that’s a great poem! It’s inventive, skillfully written and clear in its message. Thank you so much for joining in!

5. afairymind says:

Too many people in the world just don’t care. 😦

6. phylor says:

I like the way you ran the rubbishintoeachother. An important message. I’ve seen birds with the plastic pop can holders. The ocean has huge rafts of plastic junk.
    So much of this is recyclable. People need 2 educations: to not throw their junk, and to recycle what is left over. Some places even pay for certain types of recycles.
    Ooops, another long rant! I don’t expect a 9/10 this time.
    A timely and poignant poem.

7. mj6969 says:

Poignant and powerful. Perhaps the future lies in learning that we don’t actually need all the crap that we have and continue to mass produce. *sighing*