SoCS May 30/15 – Almost

socs-badge

Badge by Doobser @ Mindful Digressions

This week’s prompt: “almost.”

I have lived an almost life.

I have been told I am almost loveable and that heartens me no end. You know that feeling when you know you have almost made it and in the love stakes that is an achievement I think.

I almost married the right girl and I would have I am sure if she hadn’t turned out to be the psycho bitch from hell. It wasn’t all her fault I do have to shoulder some of the blame after all I do have a long list of peculiarities none of which sadly for you readers cannot be revealed here for fear the psycho police find me and then its certainly almost curtains for this little bunny.

I almost had the perfect job, a job that paid well and required little work. I sat in a back corner cubicle day and day out staring at the walls and drinking coffee, by knock off time I was high as a kite on caffeine almost jumping out of my skin.

Then one day a supervisor, obviously lost, wandered past and asked what I was doing and who I was. I explained who I was and what I did in terms that almost won me the day until he looked me up and discovered I did next to nothing apart from warm a seat. Well I did explain to him that next to nothing was almost a something.

Now I do almost nothing apart from write best selling novels. I don’t see writing as a chore, as work, its like I almost wish I hated it but I don’t. I disappear into my stories and characters and so often wish I was almost as smart and strong and quick witted as the characters in my books.

So an almost life can come to something even a reclusive one such as mine where the almost loveable like me flourish in our own little dung heap of mediocrity, content with what might have been in a world that doesn’t take prisoners but rather spits you out and almost treads you into the ground should you contemplate sticking your head out of the place you at best, almost hide in.

Written for: http://lindaghill.com/2015/05/29/the-friday-reminder-and-prompt-for-socs-may-3015/

This entry was posted in SOC, writing challenge and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to SoCS May 30/15 – Almost

1. loricarlson66 says:

This is great, Michael! I concur, an almost life is better than no life at all 🙂 great free-writing 🙂

2. Linda Vernon says:

Funny. I was just sitting here thinking about my almost life and saw this, clicked on it and I couldn’t believe what I read! Although I didn’t articulate “the almost life concept” nearly as well in my own mind. You said it much better for me. LOL!

3. JoAnne says:

Glad you escaped the psycho bitch from hell. And now you’re a writer. Sounds good to me!

4. herheadache says:

it’s funny how I had the same impulse, with this particular prompt. So many almosts.
    🙂

5. DELL CLOVER says:

Oh gosh–well done, Michael, and I can relate too well. An “almost life”–what a fine, if sad, phrase! My almost life would mostly be what I live on the blogs, I guess–that and my loving/loyal Invisible Perfect husband…

6. Prajakta says:

Fantastic job Michael. Your last paragraph had some gritty stuff.. “Almost life” sounds good!

7. Most of us can expect and have experienced several almost experiences. Very thoughtful treatment of the prompt. I laughed out loud at the cubicle story.

8. Glazed says:

How nice to have had a sinecure type of job where you sit around doing almost nothing. That was always my ambition. Like you, I succeeded at it temporarily. My job was to watch TV while videotaping. I remember those days fondly.