Mondays Finish the Story – April 13th, 2015 – Great Uncle Henry

2015-04-13-bw-beacham

Finish the story begins with: “The neighbors were not happy about my choice of yard art.”

Then again they were never happy about most things like trimming my edges and pruning the roses.

But it was the erection of the buffalo and memorial to great uncle Henry Twocloud that most upset them.

Uncle Henry had migrated to Australia in 1899 and had brought with him his Potawatomi heritage.

We were in fact the only people in our town who could claim Native American heritage.

Uncle Henry had come to Australia to seek his fortune on the goldfields and had married Mary Cosgrove whose sister was my great grandmother.

I grew up listening to the stories of great Uncle and discovered in recent times the rich heritage he brought with him. I designed the memorial to celebrate my family’s cultural diversity.

My neighbours expect the court case to begin next week and have vowed to pour cold water on my erection.

Written for: https://mondaysfinishthestory.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/mondays-finish-the-story-april-13th-2015/

This entry was posted in family, heritage, MFTS and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Mondays Finish the Story – April 13th, 2015 – Great Uncle Henry

1. babso2you says:

Oh Michael, you had me laughing with this one! Loved it! Thanks again for joining in and I look forward to what you come up with next week! See you then and be well… ^..^

WOW Michael, you sure have a diverse family… American Indian, Fairies, you name it, he’s got it. What next you might ask…Martians perhaps 🙂
    Have fun on your holidays, I’ll miss your posts – especially your fairy tales.

3. tnkerr says:

Nicely done. I actually went to high school with a girl who claimed Potawatomi heritage. Sadly, I know almost nothing about the people, their language, or their culture.
    Wonderful story though, I liked it.

4. JackieP says:

Huh, I knew my relatives traveled a fair bit back in the day, but to have landed in Australia! 😉

5. phylor says:

I will leave the last line alone. Interesting to hear about Uncle Henry. Are there very many Native Americans in Australia?

6. draliman says:

Funny last line 🙂 I hope he gets to keep his heritage memorial.

7. RoSy says:

We have a Potawatomi casino in Milwauke. LOL

8. NotAPunkRocker says:

Good one 🙂

9. milliethom says:

I didn’t know there were any native Americans in Australia … I’m guessing that’s another of your fairy stories, but with you, Michael, who can tell? The last line is … well, it just sums up the neighbours intentions nicely. Hahaha. 🙂

• Dear Millie you are starting to know me so well. The image didn’t suit my background so I twisted it a little to make it fit…..not unlike a fairy tale.
      See you in a few weeks as I off to London and then on a tour of Europe.

• milliethom says:

Have a great holiday, Michael. As long as it doesn’t pour down every day you’re over here, I’m sure you’ll enjoy a few sights.

• Well it will be all part of the adventure.
        My son Lucas will be in London for time as well, seeing if he can make it in that part of the world.

• milliethom says:

I wish him every success. He’s a great artist – I watched the video a couple of week’s ago and was very impressed! Have fun, anyway. 🙂

10. John Yeo says:

Nice work Michael! ~ That last line was amazing ~ Enjoy your trip ~ 🙂

11. Francesca Smith says:

Great story Michael, and that last line made me laugh!
    Have a good time on holiday!

12. Poor man. I hope he gets to keep his memorial. With all the neighbors against him though, it looks like an uphill battle. Have a great holiday! 🙂 — Suzanne

13. I love this, and that last line is a kicker! Made me laugh. Love the idea of a native American in Australia. We are all immigrants.

14. mj6969 says:

Right – I’ve been reading your posts Michael – and enjoying them – and often when there are already so many comments, I will abstain because – well, what more could I add?
    But, oh! How you ARE such a treasure!
    Blasting brilliant story and TREASURED the last line! Totally awesome – quite the devil you are – in the best of diabolical senses XD

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w