SoCS March 28/15 – “naught/knot/not.”

socs-badge

Badge by Doobster @ Mindful Digressions

This week’s prompt: “naught/knot/not.”

My mother stood before me hands on hips, finger taking up space as always.

‘You are not to go out with that girl. She is naught but a hussy. A hussy you hear me.’

I felt the knot in my stomach tighten.

Linda was not a hussy. A girl yes. A hussy no. Though at fifteen I wasn’t sure what a hussy was.

She was in my class at school. We sat beside each other. We chatted a lot. Not about schoolwork but about the different worlds we lived in.

Where I was content in my world she was not in her’s.

She never really said it but there was something odd about her dad.

My mother was keen for me to do well in life. I could understand that. She knew Linda’s family; in fact everyone knew Linda’s family. Mum would go on for ages about impressions and reputation.

She reminded me that Linda’s father was known as a drunk within the community and that her mother worked in the meat factory, ‘up to her armpits in pig shit day and night’ my mother would say tossing her head into the air giving me the idea that we were to think of ourselves as being well above the likes of the Linda’s of this world.

Finally mum made me an ultimatum that if I went out with Linda my allowance would be cut off.

I told Linda on Monday at school. She just laughed and said that happens all the time.

I sat beside her for much of my school days. Not once did she appear in any way other than the Linda I knew. I did look up hussy and nowhere was there a single word that I equated with the Linda who chatted with me each day.

Written for: http://lindaghill.com/2015/03/27/the-friday-reminder-and-prompt-for-socs-march-2815/

This entry was posted in SOC and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to SoCS March 28/15 – “naught/knot/not.”

1. Now aren`t you cute using Linda as the name of your friend 🙂 That story hit home on many levels coming from a small town and people judging me from my father`s bad acts. Great story, Michael and always entertaining reading. Now I added you on my list for this challenge if you are up to it:) https://cheryllynnroberts.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/love-in-ten-lines-free-verse-haiku/

2. Prajakta says:

You used Linda 🙂 I liked the voice you have given here. And a reflection of how we judge people because of their background and family – ignoring what they actually are! Well done Michael

A true friend. I’m so glad mother was ignored – despite the financial implications 🙂

4. True friendship, name calling from others ..water off a ducks back, to those who know the truth. Well done Michael.

5. Terrific story. Liked the use of Linda. We all have had the same experience I think. Mothers never think the girl is good enough.

6. LindaGHill says:

Nice story, Michael. 🙂 One that resonates… This happened to me as a teenager, not for the boy’s family’s financial nor behavioral reasons, but because of the colour of their skin. Sad state of affairs.

7. Doobster418 says:

Our son just turned 33 and even today, his mother is giving him a hard time about the girl he’s seeing. “You could do so much better than her.”

8. I loved this story. That is just like mothers wanting their children to choose life partners according to their wishes for them (and everything else too. lol)

9. mandy smith says:

That is both sad and sweet, Michael. I’m glad you saw past those negative things people focus on, you got to know more than the “hussy” she was labeled. I’m pretty sure she had more going on in her young life than anyone knew or cared to learn about. I tended to befriend the “outcasts” myself when I was young.

10. RoSy says:

Oh the matters of the heart…