Okay, What If? Challenge – Boys Day Out

whatifwww

This week’s challenge: Okay, What if I asked you about public transport?

Last week my mate Shaky and I went to Sydney by train. (He is Shaky as he has Parkinson’s disease, his decision not mine for the name)

Now since neither of us work we have a lot of time on our hands, which from my point of view is great, as I don’t mind not working.

So having qualified for a seniors card and therefore cheap train travel I had myself organised with a new shiny Opal card for getting on and off the trains, buses or ferries all for the cost of $2.50 all day. Bargain.

My first obstacle was discovering I had no money on my card when I got to the train station and tapped on. Opps there was fine print I had not read saying if I didn’t use my card within sixty days the money would be refunded to my bank account.

Thankfully paper tickets could still be purchased and so we both had tickets, Shaky actually had money on his card as he’d checked before leaving home.

The first train appeared and went past.

The second train appeared and went past.

So in our wisdom, as we live close to the train station, we decided to drive to the big station some half an hour away to collect the Sydney train.

Driving in the mornings in any city is always fraught with danger and for us it was being delayed so we missed the train we wanted to catch. It was an express train with limited stops as opposed to the one we did catch, which stopped at every tin pot town along the way.

The journey is usually about two and half-hours but this journey took us over three hours.

But we are retired chaps and we have time.

We made it, did our stuff, had a great lunch and a good wander about the city.

On our way home we wandered into a carriage and found a seat. As the train took off it occurred to me that we had seated ourselves in a ‘quiet’ carriage.

Now for two guys who love to chat to each other this required commitment and a conscious desire not to irritate others so we found reason to doze on and off on the way home. I should also point out we caught the express train home.

I don’t travel on the trains as much as I should but I enjoy it when I do.

Written for: http://okaywhatif.com/2015/03/18/okay-what-if-challenge/

This entry was posted in trains and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Okay, What If? Challenge – Boys Day Out

I love train travel, but hate the city. I can’t remember the last time I went to Sydney for anything. Oh, hang on, yes I do. I went there in 2010 to catch the Indian Pacific to Kalgoorlie. Now that’s a train worth going to Sydney for 🙂

2. You have quiet carriages? Goodness, not down South, how uncivilised are we!? I like trains only because I can fall asleep so easily, but I haven’t travelled on one for years. Glad you had a good day out.

3. milliethom says:

I think you got more than you’d bargained for on that day out – all that rushing around and missing trains! But I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Sydney. I love travelling by train. It’s so relaxing not having to think about traffic and which lane you should be in. I’ve never come across any ‘quiet’ carriages, though I can’t say that any of them are particularly noisy. Most talking is fairly quiet. 🙂

• Thanks Millie, quiet carriages are the thing here on the longer inter city rides. I caught the 5.30am train one morning and found most people slept the whole way and woe betide anyone make a noise….but people carrying on loud conversations on their mobile phones is irritating. Have a good day.

• milliethom says:

People constantly on moblie phones are always annoying. They don’t seem to care that no one else wants to hear their conversations. If they do it in carriages clearly labelled as quiet, that is just discourteous. Thank you for explaining.

4. weebluebirdie says:

Most of my travel is by bus, so the train is always a treat. Glad you like the prompt. It came out of a chat I had with the Indecisive Eejit. Got me back on track with posting – apologies for the pun!!

5. I travel by train every day so get a little fed up with it. I am however scared to doze off, goodness knows where I would end up lol When I go anywhere on holiday though I prefer to go by train rather than in a car, because it feels like you are actually going on holiday, if you catch my drift lol

6. mandy smith says:

Great that you can get around by train, Michael! We have public transit–bus and light rail (like train) but the crime on them prevents me from using them. I love the idea of never driving a car. Sounds like you have a good buddy to go on day trips with 🙂

• We had a great day, it was our first day out together but being neighbours we do a lot of stuff together…..our intercity train service is pretty good as I am using it in a few weeks to get to the airport….

7. Pingback: Okay, What if? Challenge – Film | Okay, What if ?

8. RoSy says:

I don’t use public transportation much. But – when on the train – I do enjoy the ride. Depending on the day & time – it makes for good people watching too. 😉

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )