Writing Prompt #98 “Fast Car” March 15, 2015 – Pushbike

DSCN0219

I only have an old pushbike

A rusty one, a bit like me

Seen better days

But it still works

A bit like me.

We rode it up and we rode it down

We were attached, once we were,

Just like my bike and I.

I doubled you, took you places

We enjoyed so much together.

They say it no one’s fault

You don’t ride with me any more

You found a better ride

Comfort and speed

Neither being me.

I only need a an old push bike

A faithful friend, sturdy and true

It takes me where I want to go

Not once has it ever complained

About my weight or riding in the rain.

I can leave you anywhere, any time

So long as the axle is oiled,

The tires are pumped,

The brakes still work

You are all I need.

I only have an old pushbike

Poverty knows how to make do

A simple man with simple needs

With a heart that aches

For what might have been.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/writing-prompt-98-fast-car-march-15-2015/

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Writing Prompt #98 “Fast Car” March 15, 2015 – Pushbike

That was nicely nostalgic, Michael. You bike is more modern than mine was. I had backpedal brakes on mine. It meant I didn’t have to multitask while riding. A bit like the old pat your head with one hand and rub your tummy with the other 🙂

2. julespaige says:

I had an old three speed bike. Wish I still had it. I ended up actually winning a 20 speed bike.
    But it is a tad too big and well… just not the same.

Simple though is not always so simple. And yet sometimes I think simple is best. 🙂

3. mandy smith says:

I rather like the old pushbike, Michael. Matter of fact, that’s what I have in my garage. I even added a little horn–not the kind with the rubber bulb that you squeeze to get a good honk (like I had as a kid)–no this has a little button to press–high-tech if you will. It has a larger, more “cushy” seat–if you know what I mean. I don’t see many people on them these days. Guess I might look a little silly. But that’s the upside of growing older–who cares? Great post, Michael! (Can’t imagine that someone finding a better ride.)

• I think they found a ‘cushier seat’. Thanks Mandy when I lived near the coast I used to ride a lot as their were great cycle paths to ride on. Where I am now its not so good but there are still a lot of cyclist out each day and especially on the weekends. I have to admit never buying a bike for looks, it was great exercise and it was what I could afford, though I never had such a thing as a high tech horn( didn’t give out a fog horn type sound did it?), a simple bell did the job for me.

• mandy smith says:

“I think they found a ‘cushier seat’.” Lol, you crack me up sometimes, Michael. It’s quite dangerous to ride bikes here–yet I live in the “cycling capital” of the world, I think. I used to just carry my house key with me. Probably should add my Last Will and Testament. I’ll be selling my bike soon. I’ve decided it’s not the way I want to “go”. No, I don’t have a fog-horn type bell. Mine is more of silly “jingle”, which wouldn’t be so bad if I rode a bike at Christmas time.

• I stopped riding around here for the same reason, unsafe. I enjoyed riding before but when you feel unsafe its not worth the worry.
        Its Tuesday morning here, beautifully sunny and a warm day coming up. Hope you are doing ok.

• mandy smith says:

I’m doing awesome today, Michael. It’s sunny here, too, and it was my soup-making day! I make several kinds each week, so my house smells wonderful. Fresh cut-up veggies abound in today’s three different soups: Chicken, Beef, and Cod. Don’t ask me what I do for fun. This is it 😀 I’m glad you’re having a beautiful day. You deserve it!

• You must cook for quite a household.
        Are your soups low salt?

• mandy smith says:

As a matter of fact, I don’t, Michael. I just happen to like soup. I think it’s low salt since I don’t use much. Naturally flavored soup doesn’t need much salt 🙂

• Soup is good in cold weather. I made some vege soup last winter and it was ok. But only I eat it so it’s not much point making a lot.
        So I am sure you’ll enjoy the fruits of your labour.

4. Poverty knows how to make do

Great line and so true, those last lines really squeeze the heart, wonderful Michael

5. RoSy says:

Sometimes that’s all we can do – is make do with what we have…

I like your bike!
    My dad has an old bike too.
    He doesn’t ride it anymore. But – when he did – I thought he looked cute. 🙂