Friday Fictioneers – Red Things

old-building-staircase

The stairwell had long intrigued me. As a kid I used to marvel at the ornate metal work in the building my Aunty Eunice lived in.

It was one of those that went up a long way, reached a point below the roofline beside a door that led to Auntie’s attic. A room that held a treasure trove.

Aunty was a tad eccentric, she collected things. Red things.

She stored them in this little room at the top of the most impressive of stairwells.

I loved to wander in the attic, curious of the story behind each red item.

Written for: http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/21-march-2014/

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to Friday Fictioneers – Red Things

1. Great story. I think as a child an aunty like this would have been amazing! Reading it made me remember how extraordinary the ordinary seemed to me although I have never completely lost my child like awe. 🙂

2. Now I’m trying to think of red things that she could collect!

3. Locomente says:

Now I feel curious too…
    Nice one!

4. Dear Michael,

Intriguing. Makes me wonder what kind of red things Auntie collected. Sounds like a fun place for exploration. Nice one.

shalom,

Rochelle

5. Sounds like a very exciting place

6. An interesting and well-written story. I can imagine the fond memories about that place. It would be a wonderland for a child.

7. K.Z. says:

Aunty Eunice sounds like an interesting character. makes me want know what kind of things she collects and why red things… 🙂

8. Michael, this reminds me of my grandparents’ farm house and the area in the upstairs where they stored things. It was always fun to look through everything and your story brought that back.

janet

9. Red things! Interesting. The colour somehow reminds me of blood, especially in the setting of this story, I don’t know why, maybe my brain is just twisted 😀

10. Linda Vernon says:

Red things! There’s just the right amount of intrigue to make me want to keep reading

11. JackieP says:

Red things. Well, that could be a number of things. Balls, dolls in red dresses, red birds, and on and on. I had an aunt that collected dolls, she had an amazing collection. It wasn’t one of those that you played with, these were collector expensive dolls. Great story Michael.

12. JudahFirst says:

Nice story. Left me about my own eccentric auntie. Well done!

13. RoSy says:

Nice story. Stuff in attics, basements/cellars, storage areas… always entertain my attention.

14. liz young says:

Red things? Rubies? Of perhaps blood?

15. Definitely not ordinary red things. Sounds like the makings of a horror suspense story. McRory Stephen Kingish

16. Shandra says:

Ah, the lovely Eccentric Aunties. Brought fond memories of 2of my own Maiden Aunts from long long ago. (Their collected treasure was a car- fully equipped ready for their escape one day’soon’. 🙂 ) Nicely done.

• Thank you Shandra, its good to see you connect with my story with a fond memory of your own. And did they ever start the car and make their getaway? Please call again.

17. storydivamg says:

Sometimes it’s more about what the stairs lead to than the stairs themselves.

Cheers!
    MG

18. Sandra says:

Red things – intriguing. I shall keep my gorey side in check and concentrate on lingerie etc. 🙂

19. Nan Falkner says:

I love treasures and collections – I don’t care if they were mostly red, which could bring this to the brink of a horror story. Very well written and reminds me too of my Great Aunts attic in Farmington, Arkansas many, many years ago. My sister and I had a wonderful time exploring. Thanks, Nan

20. Hi Michael. I love a good attic story. Red is such a dangerous colour, and with.Aunt Eunice being eccentric her collection will definitely be worth exploring.

21. Without a doubt Karen, and thank you for reading and commenting. Always good to read your thoughts.

22. There’s something terribly chilling about this. On the one hand, it seems very benign, but there’s something about the “red things,” that gives me the willies. Must be good writing! 🙂

23. PookyH says:

I love this – I would be equally intrigued by it! It’s amazing how your imagination wanders as a child, and as an adult you can fall back down the rabbit hold prompted by those memories..

24. Red things.. that sounds a little bit menacing.. but maybe it’s just cups.

25. Sun says:

red is a delicious color and your story leaves the imagination full of wonder…i’m thinking like Sandra. oodles of red lingerie and perhaps a red wine collection for the eccentric aunt. 😛 love your story and cheers!

26. This could lead to an intriguing novel…. chapters full of red things!

27. Now there’s a back story right there. Loved it!

28. Amy Reese says:

Red things, huh? Now I’m wondering what these must be? This is very mysterious, Michael. Nice description of your staircase leading to the attic. I could really picture it.

29. Bastet says:

Nice relective story…strainge stairwells, excentric aunty and red stuff in the attic…all the makings of a mystery or ghost story…cool!

30. Great piece of whimsy. Red things. A discerning gran.

31. Why red? Of course if they had been blue I would have asked “why blue?”

32. Lovely story and intriguing…now my imagination is running wild. Reminds me when I could spend hours in my grandmother’s basement…there was a cold cellar, my grandfather’s work area, furnace room and behind the furnace a tiny wee room their dog, Princess would have her pups.

33. atrm61 says:

Oh I do hope those red things were shiny and smooth and small-like maybe buttons or soft and fluttery like feathers maybe or shapely and beautiful like vases or lamps or dolls?Of course knowing me, Michel ,you know where my mind is wandering off,no? 😉