D’verse Poetics– Sketchbook // in-the-moment poetry – My Morning

stock-footage-silhouette-of-man-walks-uphill-from-camera-against-summer-sunset-sky

It’s early morning,

Dawn breaking

Silence apart from

Occasional car,

Birds chirping

Parrots screeching

The mist along the creek sits

An ominous sign of the hot day coming.

Out now escaping the coming heat.

Up past the old cemetery

Headstones all facing east

Silent sandstone sentinels of history.

Puffing as heart rate rises

As I view the BIG hill,

Dread in some ways at the climb

Exhilaration in anticipation

Of the buzz later.

Breathing, heavy, laboured

Each step bring me closer

The top looming closer

On top, breathing deep,

Down the hill to the flat.

All the while the morning’s cool crispness

Embraces me, awake to all around me

I love this time of day.

Should I go I further?

Are the legs holding up?

I know when I have walked too far

I get the wanders,

My straight path no more.

Must watch for the rises in the path

Mustn’t trip.

Down the hill home in sight,

Glad to be back, good walk,

Now to dig in the garden,

Unwind amongst the dirt and weeds.

Not too much,

Leave some for tomorrow.

Another morning to rejoice in

Now breakfast.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to D’verse Poetics– Sketchbook // in-the-moment poetry – My Morning

1. Gabriella says:

I enjoyed the walk you take us on, Michael. Enjoy your breakfast!

2. brian miller says:

when you walk too far you get the wanders…smiles….i love a good hike…i also like cemeteries….i could walk them all day seeing the names….giving them stories….just think downhill on the way back….smiles.

3. Mary says:

What a wonderful goal to accomplish before breakfast. Both getting some exercise and working up an appetite at the same time.

4. AH.. sounds like a wonderful walk.. and before breakfast… if you manage it’s the best way to start a day.

5. Sounds like a peaceful walk. I would have to worry about my legs too.

6. you won me at Cemeteries 🙂 How you enjoy your mornings, how peaceful out walking. Nicely penned my friend..the mist along the creek sits – love that line!

7. Bastet says:

Lovely walking about with you, egoist that I am, can’t wait ’til the weather gets nicer here to do the same thing! Thanks for sharing!

I felt every step of your walk. My poor garden is a desert with the exception of one lone tomato plant heavy with fruit. I keep telling myself, winter is coming – get ready for winter crops ~sigh~ and there is always next year.

9. Great poem, ambles perfectly just like the walk it describes! 🙂

10. I admire you for taking that walk, “then” working in the garden. How great to be able to do all that, “then” eat breakfast. That takes practice.

11. MarinaSofia says:

Walking and digging in the garden on the same day? Now that’s what I call energetic! And time to write too!

12. RoSy says: