Poem 61 – Teacher

2013-12-16 12.01.52

Today wondrous things happened

I was given gifts

I never expected

Mementos of how

I have impacted on lives

Hugs and best wishes,

A rare event in any teacher’s life.

My understanding of my own worth

Realised

With acclamations of affection and thanks

Photos, gifts and a film of me and them,

Interviews and the like,

What made him such a good teacher?

It appears the excitement, the energy,

Commitment and purpose.

Kids loved coming to my class,

The highlight of many a day

They said.

So I am content that my time was well spent

I can now relax

Knowing my job was well done.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Poem 61 – Teacher

1. How wonderful, knowing that those young minds you teach appreciate what you have done for them. You have impacted on lives – and kids this age aren’t usually forthcoming with compliments or hugs! So I hope you lapped it all up and those two lines cannot be any more truthful! Yay for your great day!!

2. Otrazhenie says:

Wonderful. So happy for you. Well deserved 🙂

3. Gabriella says:

Wonderful Michael! I am so happy for you.
    Enjoy and savor your last days.

• Thank you Gabriella, it is a very odd sensation knowing it i all over. But so GOOD knowing there will be no more of that school paperwork to do, like reports!! But I’ll miss all the things I did with the kids, drama kept me alive all these years.

4. Miss Lou says:

What a wonderful feeling you must have! It sounds like you have had an ‘elevation’ of spirit! Encouraged and appreciated, one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. It looks like they have gone to so much effort to make sure that you know exactly how much you have meant to their lives.

Thanks so much for sharing this experience.

Miss Lou
    xx

5. Anja says:

What a wonderful gift. Enjoy this week….but also there is much a head of you including finally traveling!

6. Brilliant! Congratulations! I am sure it is thoroughly deserved! You can really feel you’ve made a difference in so many lives from your vocation – well done you!! 🙂 🙂

7. PookyH says:

Oh that’s just so wonderful. What a precious gift x

• Thanks Pooky it has all been a bit overwhelming, I never realised the impact I had on my students. I tended to think I was just doing my job.

• PookyH says:

There is no such thing as ‘just doing your job’ when you’re a teacher…

• As I am discovering. Yesterday I received a card from a student who has not always been easy to deal with but in writing to me she poured out her heart as how grateful she was for everything I had done for her. I found that very moving.

• PookyH says:

Oh wow! It seems you are getting a lot of well-deserved teacher love right now x

• Yes I am…..it is a lovely way to go out of this game.
        Today the final year students received their results we are celebrating as of the 5 students I had this year 3 received marks of 90 and better. Happy camper today I can asssure you.

• PookyH says:

90%? I’m guessing that can’t be right? Either way, I’m delighted that you’re going out on such a high! And congrats to your students too x

8. Mary says:

Michael, I am a retired teacher as well! I know the joy of retirement. (Smiles) I remember the last year I taught. When I taught each unit for the last time, I cleared my file cabinet of the work for that unit. It felt so good…unit by unit…to know that I was completing my last year. I have never looked back. You will enjoy retirement, I am sure, and never lack for things to do with your time. It is YOUR time now, Michael, for YOU to shine! Now YOU have time.

• Mary that is the loveliest comment, thank you so much. I have found it very overwhelming the last few days, that realisation that I have had a far greater impact on my students than I ever realised. It continued today so this afternoon I have a feeling of wow was i that good?? I have even had one student present me with a film he has made of me and the class over the past year. Amazing I can tell you. As for retirement it is a big step, a new beginning and I know of no one who ever regretted retirement. Adjustments I anticipate, but then I will be fine. Thank you again for your encouragement.

9. Al says:

That’s awesome. No, that’s beyond awesome.

10. Bastet says:

A beautiful coronation of your teaching efforts…I’m so happy for you! Now the adventure begins, but I think that no one can keep a good teacher who has that particular vocation really in retirement 😉