Change – Cubby’s Challenging Triolet

Change

Change can be a tricky customer

It creeps up, takes you by surprise,

Though you know it’s inevitable.

Change can be a tricky customer

To any unsuspecting new comer

Who ventures and fails to surmise

Change can be a tricky customer

It creeps up, takes you by surprise.

I nearly got the syllables right…its late now I shall post and hope not to attract scathing criticism.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Change – Cubby’s Challenging Triolet

1. 9? It is tricky – especially when one is tired, but I shall not cast any criticism – you tried and you did very well.

2. 1st line is 9….you wish 😉

3. yep there is 8/9/10 oops

4. Don’t fret about the syllables, all poets play a bit around things that can read like one or two or three syllables depending on how quickly the word is said! 🙂 I’m sure Shakespeare was a bit liberal with all that from time to time too!! 🙂 🙂 that’s why they talk about poetic license, LOL! Great poem, and very true about the subject, change is indeed a tricky customer!! 🙂 🙂

• Thanks Helen I actually enjoyed the challenge until I reached the end and realised I hadn’t considered too carefully the syllable count. So I agree with you about ‘poetic license’, works for me. As for Shakespeare he didn’t always go by the rules and he often made a few to suit himself. Yes as I am about to find out change can be tricky….but fun at the same time..have a good day.

5. Cubby says:

Syllable count is the least important thing when it comes to writing poetry. I love the subject you chose for this, and I think it works beautifully as a triolet. This is a wonderful triolet, and I think the concept of change being tricky and the extra syllable here and there actually work incredibly well together. Excellent job, Michael! 🙂

• Oh thank you Cubby, you are so generous, and thanks for the ping back…..it was a fun challenge, I kept thinking its like a maths problem, think about it…lol..all those numbers to consider. Thank you again.

6. Pingback: When It Breaks: A Triolet and Challenge | Reowr

7. Anja says:

ha this is good but please tell me how line 1 has 8 syllables? 🙂

8. RoSy says:

Who counts syllables? Not me. I just read & enjoy! 😉

9. Rexie says:

Summerstommy, it is just an important concept you have covered in your poem. Loved it 🙂

10. PookyH says:

It reads right to me – though I do love your suggestion that ‘tricky’ could be a single syllable if you read it fast…

I really enjoyed it. I found this challenge super hard.

• hello Pooky, thank you for your comment. Thank you for following my blog, i hope you can visit again.And yes it was a challenge but one to have fun with. And if you read all my comments I was clutching at straws about the way I would say tricky and reduce it to one syllable…..all in fun of course.

• PookyH says:

Nah, I’m with you – you’re the poet, it’s up to you how tricky is pronounced in this instance 😉

Cubby’s challenges seem to be a great way to find other bloggers – I only just started last month so I’m keen to find other people writing poetry so it’s great to meet you!

• Same here Pooky, I shall check out your work later.I hope you enjoy your stay with us in WP.

• PookyH says:

Thank you – I’m sure I will. I’ve not used wordpress.com in years, it’s really changed. I love the community feel now and how easy it is to stumble across people with similar interests.

• Yes its a very positive place and I have made some great friends. If you check out my blog you’ll discover who I am, especially if you read todays post.
        I hope you can visit again.

• PookyH says:

I’m on my way over now – please pop the kettle on 😉

11. Pingback: Sunday Poetry……A Special Season (Triolet-2) | OH, THE THINGS WE SHALL SEE ~ Photo companion blog to TheSanctuaryofMyHeart.com