Photo Fiction – The Half Clock

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA

My Grandfather loved to collect clocks. Don’t ask me why. The sound of the hundreds he had ticking insanely in his shed was enough to send me crazy.

He loved things to be nailed down and if it wasn’t nailed down when he got it, it was certainly nailed down not long after he did get it.

The half clock as he called it had a pride of place. He was convinced that the person who made it had time management issues and the half clock represented an attempt at a subtle metaphor.

He would get as mad as a cut snake when anyone dared to make sense of his shed and his life in general.

Now he has passed on.

The non-ticking half clock sits on my mantle.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Photo Fiction – The Half Clock

1. Gabriella says:

I like how you have managed to evoke the significance of objects that we inherit from loved ones. Objects that were not necessarily meant for us when they were purchased but take on a new meaning when we acquire them.

• summerstommy says:

Thanks Gabriella I appreciate your comments. I found this initially a difficult image to write about.

2. Alastair says:

This is a great story. I love the way you used it as a symbol of how he looked on life.

• summerstommy says:

Thanks Alastair for your comment I did struggle for a while with this one, a tricky image.

• Alastair says:

I have that sometimes with my own images. I do occasionally wonder if I should explain where an item is to make it easier. For example, this is on the side of a church

• summerstommy says:

That is the beauty of the task Alastair that every writer will respond differently thereby ensuring the wonderful variety of responses. If we all knew too much like where it might be I think you would get less variety and creativity.

3. misskzebra says:

I enjoyed this piece, the grandfather seems like an unusual, interesting character. I’m glad she didn’t throw the half-clock away.

4. Excellent! It reminds me of when I was totally confused as a little girl about how a clock with no hands would ever be able to tell me the tie…

5. Penny L Howe says:

Just wonderful! That’s all, just wonderful! 🙂

• summerstommy says:

Thank you, again I wish i could have called my blog ‘playing with words’ for that is what I do. Such fun.

6. What a delightful tale.
    Thank you.

7. I like the idea of a half-clock. It’s a good metaphor to think on.

8. Kwadwo says:

My grandfather’s clock was too large for the shelf,
    So it stood ninety years on the floor;
    It was taller by half then the old man himself,
    Though it weighed not a pennyweight more.

… and it stopped short – never to go again –
    When the old man died.