Stumped/Friday Fiction

fleeting-copyright-indira-mukherjee

I love India.

You do?

Yes, all things Indian.

Oh?

Cricket, I love cricket and curry.

Ever been there?

The bus.

What happened?

Missed it.

Oh.

Just a blur.

A blur?

Yes. We stood there like a pair of stunned mullets looking at the back end of our future.

So you got to stay longer?

No. I was frantic.

Frantic?

Frantic, to say the least.

Why?

My cricket gear. We’d booked it on the day before.

Oh.

My career, stumped there and then.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Stumped/Friday Fiction

1. Dear Summerstory,

Fast paced dialogue. Made me wonder, though, if the MC couldn’t have replaced his/her cricket gear. 😉

shalom,

Rochelle

2. summerstommy says:

No Rochelle, every cricketer worth his salt will only use his own protector, bat, pads, gloves. Superstitious folk cricketers!

3. Love the story. The short lines mean you fit a ton of story into a few words. That would be heartbreaking, looking for that one special set of gear in a country of a billion people.

• summerstommy says:

Oh yes,a great challenge when they are all so mad keen about the game. Thanks for the comment David

4. Gabriella says:

Great dialogue! Apparently the memory still hurts.

5. Sandra says:

Very effective presentation.

6. lepirategunn says:

True wit and good dialogue there!

7. misskzebra says:

Great dialogue and interesting story.

8. Helena Hann-Basquiat says:

Oh, that’s wonderful. The back forth of the dialogue made for a fast-paced tale that mirrored the frenzy of missing the bus. And the use of the word STUMPED was brilliant, though I wouldn’t be surprised if you find it’s lost on those unfamiliar with cricket.

• summerstommy says:

Thank you Helena for your generous comment. I did think of all the non cricket readers whom I might confront by using “stumped” in that way but because I love a good cricket story, I thought, the challenge of spinning a good yarn overrode that!

9. great dialogue – great story. Randy

10. The tragic loss and untold side of the story that never was
    nicely penned

11. rheath40 says:

Loved the cadence of the words. And the story of course.

12. Linda Vernon says:

It’s amazing how life seems to always boil down to one detail like that that changes everything. There are so many stories in the “if I would have” or the “if I wouldn’t have”. Very thoughtful story.

13. Shreyank says:

Cricket is like a religion in India.. Nice fast paced dialogue

• summerstommy says:

Thank you for your comment. India seemed a good location for the story……and cricket well else do they do?

14. Stumped? Cricket? Haha!! Good one, although not for them. You bowled out that one.

janet

15. summerstommy says:

Yes but long ago. From memory good show.

• summerstommy says:

Yes it is the movie about the match going down to the last ball and the batsman is caught on the boundary and see his foot over the line. Yes I loved that show. Also the poms had it stuck to them.

16. TheImaginator says:

Looked like we had the same idea regarding the form of the story; liked your pun at the end!

• summerstommy says:

Thanks for your comment. Cricket is a game with a lot of words that are so easily used to pun with.

17. So this guy missed the bus in more ways than one! lol

18. Carrie says:

you painted the scene just with dialogue. Great job

19. Penny L Howe says:

Hello again. 🙂 What great dialogue, Funny, fast and fun, You do love playing with words, don’t you? And you do it very well too! 🙂

20. Shainbird says:

Love the dialogue!

21. Joe Owens says:

I have always been curious to learn how cricket works. Superstitious like baseball players.

• summerstommy says:

Well yes at least the ones in this story. Thanks for the comment. Cricket like baseball can be a life long passion.

22. zookyworld says:

Really like the format here, and what a bummer to miss the bus with the gear! The line about them watching the bus like mullets is fantastic.

23. Brian Benoit says:

Ha, nice back and forth-the speed of that gave the story a great overall feel

24. troy P. says:

The mullets line was possibly the best bit I’ve read all week – and I loved the ping-pong dialogue as well – nice!

25. Howzat!
    A great catch!
    Enough rubbish, excellent tale, loved it.

• summerstommy says:

Thanks so much for your comment, fellow knowledgeable cricket person.
      I think I bowled a few people over with this one.

26. Love the short dialogue – like you have to draw it out of him

27. “We stood there like a pair of stunned mullets looking at the back end of our future.”
    Fantastic line.
    And any poetic dialogue that includes curry is okay in my book.
    I love curry.

28. No clue what Cricket is, but enjoyed the poetry.

• summerstommy says:

Thank you Shirley for your comment. Obviously you are an American, but think how much fuller your life would be with a passion for the worlds greatest game!!

29. kz says:

a clever piece. i liked the fast-paced dialogue, it’s really effective 🙂