Tale Weaver – #163 – Aging – 15th March

african-american-3154942_960_720

Image Google images – Labelled for re-use.

I can’t stop it, as it grows heavier every day.

They say it starts at birth but it’s more and more obvious the older I get.

My bits don’t work as they used to, I need a pill for this and a pill for that,

I rattled of a morning, and I struggle to sleep at night

But there’s not a lot I can do to stop the thing progressing.

I once had a head of hair, and nowadays it’s more an endangered species,

I’m glad all my childlike ways are still close by me; they help me get through each and every day.

I still love to play, at least my mind says I do, my body seems to have a separate thought on that,

It’s odd that when I was growing up, I was told to keep my mind on the job, now its more about reminding my mind there’s a job to do and that sleep is not on option at any hour of the day.

So finding myself dozing off is becoming a norm, which is fine when there’s no one around to bother if I do.

I think aging can to cruel for some, it’s not always a matter of what we cannot do but more the loss of the will to think we ever could.

But knowing it’s just a matter of time, inevitable as the rising of the sun, I have to adjust and make the best of what I have today.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/tale-weaver-163-aging-15th-march/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Tale Weaver – #163 – Aging – 15th March

1. Patricia says:

I can relate to this a bit too well. Getting old ain’t for sissies.

2. calmkate says:

honest and sweet!

Oh boy, do I relate to that, Michael. There are so many pills for this and that, you could shake me and I’d rattle. I’ve never run a marathon, so not being able to run one now doesn’t bother me 😀

4. We’ve discovered since turning 60 that old age sucks, bits drop, droop or fall out. Even though we did most of the time before, we are now just acting our shoe size. 🙂

5. James says:

Not a day goes by that I don’t go home from work to find my wife listening to a podcast about health and aging. She’s been listening to those things plus reading tons of books on the subject for years now. Then she imparts all of that advice to me.

Turns out that it’s a lot better to behave proactively to prevent disease as we get older so we don’t end up taking a bunch of pills that, for the most part, make us worse rather than better. She’s always “encouraging” me to eat more healthy because diet is huge in terms of health at any age.

I have returned to my strength training regime at the gym and while I’m lagging somewhat in my cardio, I finally got my single rep deadlift back up to 300 pounds (about 136 kilos and change).

I’m not giving up without a fight. You shouldn’t either. It’s not just about how long you live, but about the quality of life as you live it.

You are so right James, it is all about quality of life. Today I am off to the hospital to have injections in both my aging feet which have prevented me from taking my daily walks. Hopefully in the coming weeks I can be out of the pathways again.

6. Jules says:

“I can’t run marathons, win the belle of the ball, and beauty contests were never mine to win, as I age and look to each day as a day to be enjoyed knowing that despite the character flaws I have there is someone out there who sees and loves the man I am.”
    And also loves and respects the writer you are! Thanks for the prompt and allowing us all to play with you. ~ hugs. Jules

(Best to you getting to those paths you enjoy!)

7. MNL says:

I can relate to this. I never could run marathons so that much hasn’t changed. But the change in my energy levels did catch me by surprise. They say you can solve problems while you sleep — I must be solving a lot! laughing. Of course, then the other days, it’s insomnia. Ah well. It’s awesome that you’ve kept the child alive within. And this line cracked me up, “They say, that with age I should acquire wisdom, so I wait for the dawn believing today might be the day.” I feel that one. Good read.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )