A Certificate at Last

Last week I received a Certificate proclaiming me to be a Proficient Teacher.

There it is above in all its magnificent colour.

At first I thought it was a joke, someone taking a lend of me.

Then I felt insulted as I am in my fifth year of retirement.

Then I saw the fine print. To maintain my standing as a Proficient Teacher the accompanying booklet outlined the steps I would have to undertake to maintain this elevated position within the teaching fraternity.

There was a detailed program put together by some office clerk somewhere with little to no idea of what a teacher’s day is actually like, but rather responding to some bureaucrat’s whim to make teacher’s lives all the more arduous.

In the five years of retirement so far I have done one day’s casual teaching and that was to help out a teacher who had been a former student and intern. I don’t feel the urge or compunction to go back into school, for me its a case of been there done that and I have no longing to play teacher again.

I’m not sure as to what to do with the certificate, to frame it or use it as a place mat.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Certificate at Last

1. LindaGHill says:

Frame it and hang it sideways.

2. janmalique says:

You could laminate it and use as a place mat.

3. Mandibelle16 says:

Congrats, I guess. But maybe they should’ve given that to you a lot earlier in your career? You taught for many years and shouldn’t need a certificate to help out, if that was you wanted to do. My Dad has been a teacher/principal and is 4 yrs from retirement, but wants to work a few days a week if he can (2 to 3) afterwards. I think he’d be really insulted at this too. You have how many years experience, that’s so much more than some program!

Thanks Mandi, I think part of their motivation is to entice those of us in retirement to stay in teaching as there is a growing shortage of teachers. Though I didn’t find it enticing in any way.

4. Tony says:

Certificate ?? Where is the medal for 25+ years teaching😡😡😡

Michael, you stated “for me its a case of been there done that,” maybe if you bought a T-shirt, with the certificate embossed on the front, it would satisfy them. Of course, you could always help the local kids with their homework – that’s punishment enough for any retired teacher 🙂

I could Lyn but that would be a dumb idea. I say that as I had enough of that punishment when I was working. Though I like the t-shirt idea.

6. calmkate says:

lol hung it in the dunny!

7. Something to read in the loo Michael………………. ?

8. Mara Eastern says:

Now, that’s interesting. I’m still not sure what it is, apart from an effort to rob you of money and time. It looks nice though. Make origami with it?

Good suggestion. I think its meant to be a piece of paper telling me that after all my years of teaching I’ve reached the status of being proficient, which in lay-man’s terms means I had some idea of what I was doing.