Thursday photo prompt – Dark #writephoto

dark-hills

They welcomed the dark. After a hot summers day sheltering in the depths of the lake among the thick reeds and the slimy bottom the night and its darkness allowed them to slide out of the water and shed their sliminess on the dry shoreline.

It was here they lay for several hours especially on moon lit nights when they absorbed the moonbeams, which gave them a slight glow and fed their voracious appetite for moonlight.

Sunlight scorched their delicate skins so hiding from it during daylight and coating themselves with slime ensured their survival.

Tonight after their moon baths there was the expectation of feeding. They knew that at the moons height the wolves would come to drink along the shoreline.

Working in fours, they would wait for the wolf to sink its muzzle into the water then strike, dragging it quickly into the lake where once drowned they would devour it within seconds.

It worked every time, the feeding over, they waited further for digestion to begin and then slid silently into the water sinking to prepare with full bellies for the next day of resting on the bottom.

It was true they welcomed the dark.

Written for: https://scvincent.com/2018/03/01/thursday-photo-prompt-dark-writephoto/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Thursday photo prompt – Dark #writephoto

1. Deb Whittam says:

That’s creepy. Love it!!!

2. This is great Michael! I’m thinking crocodiles or alligators. Love the idea of a moon bath and absorbing moonbeams. Great visual.

3. Reena Saxena says:

I see a great metaphor in it. Beautiful!

I ain’t going near any lakes in future. Nope, not ever 😮

5. Sue Vincent says:

That was unexpected, Michael! I am intrigued by these mysterious creatures…

6. buffalopound says:

Good story, but I’m thinking about those wolves – not very clever if they keep going to the shore night after night knowing not all of them will leave the water’s edge.

7. I may never set foot in a lake again! Great response to the prompt!

8. I’m betting on them being anacondas, and I hate them, because I love wolves.

9. Pingback: Dark – Michael #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

10. I’m going to the pool! 🙂

11. Pingback: Photo prompt round-up: Dark #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

12. James says:

Uh oh. Nasty water creatures.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )