Thursday photo prompt – Dusk #writephoto

sky-1

He’d reached that time of life where his sunset hadn’t happened, but he certainly considered he was enduring the dusk stage of life.

His lights were fading but he preferred to think of it as a part of his day to day, he fell asleep more and more, his nights were riddled with sleeplessness and the craziest and scariest nightmares.

At times he wasn’t sure what time it was or whether it was day or night.

His son would often find him at 3 am in the bathroom preparing for his morning shave. His son would point out that there was no daylight coming in through the windows and that his father should still be in bed.

And so the shuffle back to bed would happen.

As each day ended the old man feared the coming of night. His fear stemmed from his not knowing if he would see the dawn.

This was his cycle of life, the revolutions like the length of his days as winter drew nearer becoming slowly shorter.

Written for: https://scvincent.com/2018/02/22/thursday-photo-prompt-dusk-writephoto/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Thursday photo prompt – Dusk #writephoto

1. Sue Vincent says:

I aree with Ritu, touchingly written, yet a moment that may come to us all, if we are lucky enough to live long enough.

2. I’m with Ritu and Sue Michael.
    As we age, sleep patterns change so we lose track of the days, not just time in general. Our doctors and policemen look about 10 years old, and that clicking sound in the central heating pipes is actually arthritis in the knees. Some call it the twilight years, but Dusk I think is more appropriate.

3. Iain Kelly says:

Lovely piece Michael.

4. very moving Michael. Sad and a little frightening!

5. Pingback: Dusk -Michael #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

6. That was a really interesting take on that picture

7. TanGental says:

I remember hearing a nonagenarian on the radio being asked what changes he noted specifically about getting old and he said ‘It always seems to be breakfast’. Pretty much like your hero!

8. Suzanne says:

This is a very sensitive post Micheal. I enjoyed it a great deal.

9. Pingback: Photo prompt round-up: Dusk #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

10. James says:

My parents knew a man like this, a World War Two veteran. He’d get up in the middle of the night and cook breakfast. It was as if he was unstuck in time. I wonder what it is about extreme old age that does this? My Dad has now passed and my Mom’s dementia worsens, so perhaps she will suffer what he was spared.

It was sad watching my dad’s decline. His brain remained sharp right to the end so his physical decline was tough for him as he had been an active man all his life.

11. A very vivid and sad piece, Michael.

12. Nice but a little depressing.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )