Reena’s Exploration Challenge #Week 18

challenge-18

There was never a defining moment apart from the feeling that it was the end and that things had to change.

Like so much in life it was easier to think it than do it.

To leave a marriage after so many years when you truly thought the vows you took were sacred was not and never would be simple.

But when you saw the destruction that was happening not only to yourself but to your children the decision was a lot more manageable than you imagined.

To do so was to give up the person I was before, the cowering, compliant and pathetic self who had grown to hate life and whose day to day was all about fear. Fear of discovery, fear of retribution and fear of punishment on self and those who looked up to me.

I had to move away and become strong. I had to stop rolling over and rid myself of the feeling I was selling my soul.

It’s not a path I would recommend unless you are at the end of your tether and have nothing to lose other than the crumbs of character you cling to.

So, I left, and I’m sure my ex felt I would be back. She knew she could and did cripple me financially and as I walked the path of uncertainty a friend did ask me if all the pain and abuse I was dealing with was worth it. To which I replied, “Freedom is priceless.”

In the months that followed, I did seek some form of renewal. Wanting to find out if I could still function as a man, if the days of being my ex’s whipping post could be put behind me.

It was never plain sailing, it doesn’t work like that because there is so much that is part of you that it drags you back into your past and directs the way you react and feel.

For me it’s been a learning curve, I’ve made numerous mistakes but they say that’s how you learn and I think I have learned a lot about myself in the years since.

The one factor I hold most precious is I have now the opportunity to be me, to discover who this me is and to see if I can live comfortably with him. He is refined all the time, I try to keep him open to new things and not get too bogged down in routine, for I am a creature of habit.

After years of mistrust, it takes time to find trust in others. I have been fortunate to have the love and support of my children, and I treasure that. I have tried to form relationships and found they have gone the way of my past relationships, down the gurgler as I have not attracted partners who have seen me as me.

But I am fortunate to found one friend whom I value above all others who sees me for whom I am and with whom I can be me.

Life is far too short for regrets, so I try to be positive and compassionate to those around me. Being a person of integrity is what I’d like to be, but I know it’s part of developing the me I most want to be. Whether I reach the heights of “something amazing” I am yet to discover.

you

Written for: https://reinventionsreena.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/reenas-exploration-challenge-week-18/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Reena’s Exploration Challenge #Week 18

1. lisarey1990 says:

This is beautiful. 🙂

2. Reena Saxena says:

An excellent personal essay with a honest and cathartic portrayal of the journey! Glad that you have found an anchor at last.

3. Linda Vernon says:

It seems like you and I have been on the same path. When my husband left suddenly after 40 years of marriage I felt like an unteathered hot air balloon. But like most things that seem horrible at the time I now see what a blessing in disguise it was! The whole world has suddenly opened up! Life has a funny way of taking us where we need to go — but I learned that life has my back, no matter what happens.

Yes for a while all you want to do is hide but over time you find your place in the world and as I said freedom is priceless. I hope things continue positively for you Linda 😉

• Linda Vernon says:

That’s so true about hiding out! It took me two years before I could figure out what to do next. But gradually I’m finding that everything is falling into place. My biggest challenge was learning to be alone. I never thought I’d get used to it, but now I’m finding that not only am I getting used to it, I’m actually starting to enjoy it!

It takes time doesn’t it. Being kind to yourself is not always easy. So enjoy the holiday season 🎄🎅🏻

4. milliethom says:

Your story is an inspiration to many people stuck in a similar, seemingly hopeless situation, Michael and I’m so glad you’ve moved away from yours so well. You have always come across as a very caring person and you deserve much more from life than you suffered for so many years. Your phrase, ‘freedom is priceless’ is so true, and it’s wonderful that you are now travelling the path towards discovering that ‘something amazing’ in yourself.
    Have a lovely Christmas, Michael and a wonderful 2018. 😀

5. -Eugenia says:

You nailed it with life is too short for regrets. I’m glad you are moving in a positive direction.

6. floatinggold says:

Freedom is priceless, indeed.
    Glad you are re-discovering yourself.
    Here is to a New Year full of new findings!
    Merry Christmas.

7. A very cathartic essay that brought the joy of life and living without looking back with regret in no uncertain terms. Your moving piece is a tribute to the triumph of the human spirit and will definitely inspire many who find themselves struck in similar if not worse situations.
    I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS, Michael.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )