In Other Words, shopping…

in-other-words1

Write a story or poem of 5 Lines or Less using the word shopping

It was that time of the year when panic started to take over.

Christmas was just around the corner and so were the relatives each expecting a gift.

He drew up a list and checked it twice deciding they were all naughty and never nice.

But there was the obligation to satisfy their precocious greed.

He looked at his dwindling bank balance and wondered if they’d ever go for the notion, it was the thought that most countered.

Written for: https://patriciasplace.me/2017/11/29/in-other-words-shopping/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to In Other Words, shopping…

Maybe his rellos should remember it’s more blessed to give than to receive. Even if they all chipped in and bought him something. I feel his pain.

2. Car boot sales Michael. Our first Christmas in 1989 we were both broke and did all of our Christmas shopping at car boot sales. We got something for everyone, and introduced the Naff-for-a-pound gift for adults. My sister got the set of rubber ducks. I got a kids post office set!

The good old days Di, I remember our first christmas and we could only afford to give each other a keyring each….

• Funny that, I bought Hubby a keyring, and a packet of cheese and onions crisps! It was one of our best Christmases too.

It may not have been fun at the time though good we can laugh about it now

• Hubby still has his keyring somewhere. It played a mini video of the Pink Panther, but this has long since worn out (28 years!)

Goodness our keyrings were not so sophisticated. The front door key was as exciting as it got back then.

• I got it for a pound in a toy shop as it was a discontinued line. I have a picture somewhere of our tree (also a pound as it was the top that had broken off a big one) and the box with balloons attached that was full of silly little things for Hubby (sherbet fountain, chocolate santa, peanuts). That’s why I enjoy our £10 dash as we don’t spend any more than that and try to get as much fun things as we can.

That’s a great idea Di, my problem was I was married to a woman for who $10 was never enough to spend on her….I once bought at great expense to me a diamond pendent for her only to be told the diamond wasn’t big enough….I’m glad to be rid of all that..

• She must be related to the ex partner then as I spent an entire week’s wages on a 18ct gold neck chain for him as he didn’t want a crucifix or anything on it. I didn’t see him open it and had to ask if he liked it. He told me he guessed it was OK and I could get him the cross to go on it for his birthday. I didn’t.

Know the feeling ☹️

3. Patricia says:

Some folks do seem to think the cost of something is what makes the gift. Too bad for them…they miss out on the best of gifts that are of the heart. Thanks for being a part of In Other Words.