FFfAW Challenge-Week of September 26, 2017 – My Own Company

photo-20170925154627418

Image: by shivamt25.

I am not a coffee person haven’t been for well over twenty years. One day I realised I was drinking it for the sake of drinking it and it wasn’t agreeing with me, the enjoyment had gone out of it.

So, I stopped which in many ways put an end to another part of my social life.

As I don’t drink alcohol either and only drink tea of the herbal kind, and that’s only on certain occasions, it’s a bit lame isn’t it asking a woman or friend to come out for a water.

It’s not much of a clincher is it when looking for company.

But its ok as I’m socially limited as it is so I am saved you might say from the embarrassment of facing someone across a table with my glass of water in hand as they sip their latte.

Not that I worry as I have come to accept my own company as the best I’m going to get and we are learning to get along just fine.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2017/09/25/fffaw-challenge-week-of-september-26-2017/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to FFfAW Challenge-Week of September 26, 2017 – My Own Company

1. Fandango says:

I’ve got a 2-3 cups a day coffee habit and I can’t imagine being able to make it through my mornings without my caffeinated fix. I’d invite you over for a cup, but, we’ll, you know. AWKWARD!

2. Varad says:

No shame in having a cuppa by yourself. In fact, I often yearn for days where I could get some me time. Oh well, I’m the opposite of your protagonist 😛

3. Iain Kelly says:

I can relate to this as a non-coffee or tea drinker working in the media, I get the strangest looks when I turn down a coffee, like I’m some sort of alien! 🙂

4. Hahahaha! Cute story Michael! He is learning to enjoy himself as his own company. At least he isn’t lonely!

5. yarnspinnerr says:

The last two lines are profound.

6. luckyjc007 says:

A wonderful story that I’m sure many can relate to. Until I learned to drink coffee, I was the person in your story. I was the one always seeking a coke or other substitute. I only learned to drink it because I was desparate to avoid gaining too much weight when pregnant and learned that a cup of coffee and jelly toast satisfied my need of something sweet, crunchy, and I could enjoy every bite slowly with coffee. To his day though, I only drink coffee if I have something to eat along with it! Some people just assume that you drink coffee .

Thanks Jessi, I did drink coffee once when I was working but I found I was drinking it because it was there and I was satisfying my anxieties at the time. It eventually stopped tasting any good so I stopped and I haven’t taken it up again.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )