FFfAW Challenge-Week of September 5, 2017 – The Right Hand Enabling Act.

photo-20170904154630548

Image: artycaptures.wordpress.com.

There was an uproar when the right hand enabling act came into law.

The lefties reeled in disgust that their left-handedness was being outlawed. Was the world to return to the persecution of all the left-handed folk?

The right handed, found a new righteousness in their attitude to all things right handed. The evangelical right handed pointed out the right hand of God as being far more virtuous than the left.

The ambidextrous were prevented from all sport, left-hand drives in cars were to be corrected to right-hand drive never mind the chaos that might generate.

Over time people lost the use of their left hands and arms. They dangled as another appendage, and some of the virtuous had them removed.

Human dexterity waned as people realised the limitations of one hand only. Performance being rewarded by the sound of one hand clapping only went so far.

It began the time of the resurrection of the left hand.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/fffaw-challenge-week-of-september-5-2017/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to FFfAW Challenge-Week of September 5, 2017 – The Right Hand Enabling Act.

1. Joy Pixley says:

Ha ha, great last line. As a (mostly) left-handed person, I applaud the revolution!

2. MC Clark says:

Can’t keep a lefty down! 😁

3. Fandango says:

I gotta hand it to you, this was a fascinating post.

4. Fluid Phrase says:

“Performance being rewarded by the sound of one hand clapping only went so far.” This line I loved. Such a different thought process. Never would have thought about this. Good one!

5. Moon says:

Such a unique, innovative take on the prompt.

Having lived through the “you WILL use your right hand to right,” regime at school, I have but one word to say…well, okay, two. “Lefties Rock!” So they’d better watch out because my throwing arm is very good 😀

7. Varad says:

I’m a righty who always wanted to be a lefty. So, I throw my weight behind the resurrection of the left hand. 😀 Good one, Michael. Thanks for the laughs.

8. yarnspinnerr says:

Very innovative. Great write.

9. Hahahaha! This is sadly funny. There is so much meaning in it. It reminds me of my grandmother who was left handed but in school was forced to write with her right hand. She continued writing with her right hand and her writing was almost ineligible. So sad!!

10. The Chad says:

Great post. Love the one hand clapping bit.

11. Iain Kelly says:

Haha, great take on the prompt. I’m married to a ‘leftie’ – they can be troublesome!

12. michael1148humphris says:

Took me back to my time at school – I was not allowed to use my left hand to write. I am left handed.

13. michael1148humphris says:

I think the difficulty is that each child is a individual and school for most is undertaken as a group activity. It works, but is not good for all children

14. HA! Reminded me of a line from a song..”Talking to you is like clapping with one hand…”