Sunday Writing Prompt #218 – Night Sounds

unnamed-5

What do you hear and how does it influence you? Does it make you content or does it disturb you?

As I live in my family home and for near on 100 years now someone in the family has lived in here. So, at night I often recall the sounds of my childhood. The Sunday nights around the fuel stove, the nights when mum would allow us to make toast by holding the bread on a long fork and against the coals in the fire, smearing the hot toast with butter and munching into the smoky bread.

I can’t say I like the night. I never have, sometimes I find it peaceful and comforting but that’s not the norm for me. As I don’t sleep all that well, I am awake a lot and the night can be very long when that’s happening.

There are moments when I imagine my great grandparents sleeping in one of the rooms of the house. I don’t know which one as the nature of the house has changed so much.

What I find disturbing during the night are the sounds I can’t identify. I’ll be up out of bed looking to discover what it is that has me puzzled. Once I’ve sorted it out, I can get back to bed.

It’s not uncommon around here to have birds active at night, and certainly, at dawn, they all seem to be awake and discussing whatever it is that is so important they all have to talk at once.

Those apart from the sound of traffic going by are the sounds of my night.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/sunday-writing-prompt-218/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sunday Writing Prompt #218 – Night Sounds

1. I know what you mean about noises you can’t identify. Dogs pick up more sounds than we do, so if Maggie went on alert, so did we.

2. scribblersdip says:

smearing the hot toast with butter and munching into the smoky bread.

– what a lovely vivid image – munching smoky bread – yum …. especially if it’s crispy!

Thanks for playing the Sunday Writing Prompt Michael – you’ve done a lovely job of this – balancing pleasant with the not so comfortable – always the just on the edge of being disturbing, Funny how we can let our minds wander and they happily trip into the wild and we can become so overstimulated.

I like how you’ve presented this – it’s a curious blend, I’m guessing, of memories and fiction brought together?

Cheers and thanks again – and I hope your weekend ends on a wonderful note, setting up the week to come on good footing 🙂

All true Pat, even last night I heard things I thought, is the the ghosts playing tennis in the lounge room or what? Tennis was a big sport in my family.

• scribblersdip says:

LOL@the idea of ghosts playing tennis – now that is intriguing …. and yes, things go bump, creak, snap and bang – and it does make one stop and wonder …..

3. Mara Eastern says:

I like the night – the part when I’m up, otherwise I’m a bad sleeper too, unless I take a sleeping pill, so I’m often awake and listening to the sounds of people, which are weirdly active at all hours. Doors banging, floor creaking, shouting at the street, the noise of the TV, also, the weird sounds that my radiators do… It sounds scary at night.

That’s apartment living isn’t it. I have street noise, cars going by but I’m used to that. Its house noises that get to me, the ghosts acting up and all that.

• Mara Eastern says:

Lol, I’m sure I have ghosts in the house, perhaps ghosts of the tenants past, but it is true that the in-house noises are the most disturbing. They are also the closest, obviously.

4. Pingback: Up Against Mortality

5. There’s an interesting emotional undercurrent to this whole piece. I think it really underscores how you view the night. Thanks for sharing.