FFfAW Challenge-Week of June 27, 2017 – The Bunyip Will Get You

photo-20170626154649554

Image: Mark with @any1mark66.

My mother would shriek telling us the bunyip would get us if we didn’t behave.

We loved to play along the creek that ran behind our place. It was an adventure wonderland as there was no end to the exploring we did and the things we found.

One day she’d discovered we’d used her best bed sheets to dump mud from the creek on. We argued there might be gold in the creek, but mum just roared all the louder.

“He’s gonna get cha,” she yelled at us dragging her best linen into the laundry.

We went back to the creek and noticed there was something different. The water was more murky than normal.

I picked up a rock to lob into the brown water just as a scaly hand shot out and then everything went black.

My brother John and I had become statues on the creek bank. In the distance, mum was singing to herself. Birds flew round us, and a large duck crapped on my head.

Our new lives had begun.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2017/06/26/fffaw-challenge-week-of-june-27-2017/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to FFfAW Challenge-Week of June 27, 2017 – The Bunyip Will Get You

1. Hahahaha! I love this story Michael! The Bunyip got them after all! Cute story!

2. Fandango says:

I had to Google “bunyip.” Apparently such a mythical creature doesn’t exist in the United States. But we have the Trump, a beast easily as terrifying as your bunyip…maybe more terrifying.

Imagine the life-long trauma a child would suffer by being told “The Trump” would get him….its hardly worth thinking about is it Mr Fandango…

3. sangbad says:

Wonderful…the ending…liked it…

LOL Mum was right 😀 We had a creek near our place too. My best friend and I used it as our secret place to just sit and talk.

5. yarnspinnerr says:

I learned a new word and new mythical being. Great write.

6. Oh lol @ a large bird crapped on my head. That made me snort!!

7. Joy Pixley says:

Boy, Mom was a lot more mad about that sheet than they anticipated, if she was happy the bunyip got them! Thanks for giving me the excuse of learning about another mythical being, interesting.

8. Neat take Michael. 🙂

9. Iain Kelly says:

Great fun – and a hell of a punishment!

10. Jael Sook says:

Hahahahahahahaha!

11. This is such a unique story! It makes me think of all of the things that kids are told to “make” them behave. great take on this photo prompt!
    Vacation
    Annie at ~McGuffy’s Reader~

12. James says:

Mum seems a little cold blooded about it. Suspect she didn’t want kids around in the first place.

13. milliethom says:

It seems Mum was right all along, or perhaps in league with the dreaded bunyip. She seems awfully happy to see her boys behaving themselves (for once) as statues. No more mucky bed sheets for her to deal with. (Oh, what bliss!) Perhaps all mums should team up with a local bunyip. A fun story, Michael.

14. luckyjc007 says:

Sucn a sever punishment for dirty sheets, but I think they will never forget it…and hopefully, she can turn them back into humans. I think it is far worse than getting a spanking, and will never be forgotten! Fun story.

15. afairymind says:

They should have listened to Mum! A very entertaining story, Michael. Nicely done. 🙂

16. L.E.R.T says:

Ouch.. The bunyip caught them… and the mother either didn’t notice their absence or the bunyip made her go mad. Good fun take on the prompt. Cheers, Varad