Thursday photo prompt: Derelict #writephoto – Mrs Savage

ruin

The story was that Mrs Savage had lived in the old place and after her death it had been left to ruin.

She had been married to Mr Savage, a railway fettler who was killed working on the train line one cold foggy morning.

Mrs Savage lived on in the small house until her death aged 94. There was no family and certainly no will.  So her death began the argument as to who owned the house. The Railways argued it was theirs, the local council the same. As is the case in these matters the house was left and neglect moved in.

Living in the town we all knew the story. I watched over the years the house deteriorate more and more. Before it fell to complete ruin I decided to go and have a look inside.

It was a dark and dingy place. A fire box at one end and a bed at the other. I was surprised at what was left of it. Mrs Savage had died and no one it appears bothered to clean the place up. There were still cups and plates, a few pieces of cutlery lay on the floor. Her old ice-box left open and destroyed by time.

As I looked around I thought how could anyone have lived in this house? But it’s all relative isn’t it. What you know is what you know.

For Mrs Savage I’m sure knew it was not the best place in town, but I’m also sure she saw it as a roof over her head.

Written for: https://scvincent.com/2017/05/25/thursday-photo-prompt-derelict-writephoto/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Thursday photo prompt: Derelict #writephoto – Mrs Savage

1. scribblersdip says:

Home is where the heart and spirit truly reside; shelter is shelter – sometimes not much at all – but it can be far more than most others have too; but then, it’s really about what happens within the dynamics of the space that matter ….

That’s so true Pat….the Mrs Savage in my story did exist, across the road from where I lived in the country was an old fettler’s hut that she lived in and one day I went in to see what there was there, like in my story not much, from what I could see she didn’t have glass in her windows and it got pretty cold in that place….

• scribblersdip says:

It can be a sad thing, really – especially if one is alone ….. but then, one can never be sure what truths are about, unless one tries to reach out, and that’s not always wanted or appreciated either ….

Now that is a fixer-upper. I reckon Mrs Savage had been happy there – I mean, she lived to the age of 94, there had to be something about the place. I would love to do that gorgeous little place up…it really speaks to me.

3. Sue Vincent says:

Home is where you share memories… I wonder how many ghosts cluster at Mrs Savage’s hearth.

4. Pingback: #writephoto – Mrs Savage by Michael | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

5. floridaborne says:

I was looking at pictures of a town where the houses were made from boat hulls turned upside down. Some of the pictures were from 100 years ago. I can’t imagine living like that today, but there was a time when people were happy simply to have a place to live that was out of the weather and enough food to keep the soup cauldron filled. 🙂

We take for granted so much don’t we…if you ask people who lived tough during the depression years they’ll say: that’s just how it was when we’d wonder how they even survived.

6. Pingback: Photo prompt round up – Derelict #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

7. Pamela Morse says:

Mrs Savage had a sturdy place for the time she needed it…and now she doesn’t.