Photo Challenge #163 – Harry the Tin Man

487b84b023a6139735181a6a76326756

Image: – Matt Dixon

Harry the Tin Man had an idea. It was unusual and took everyone by surprise as Harry didn’t normally have ideas.

Such was his idea that he liked the notion of a light above his head signalling his new found good luck.

Mostly Harry lived a life predictable and lacking in any sort of excitement. He accepted his lot.

He had once had another idea that the girl in the weaver’s shop might fancy him but she didn’t. She called her father who grabbed Harry and threw him into the village pond. He was rusty for weeks. No amount of oil would quieten the squeak between his legs.

He didn’t like being oiled between his legs, he thought he was deserving of some dignity.

But no. The village blacksmith, the apothecary and the tinsmith all attended to his rust spot.

He then took a vow of isolation. He would approach no one and in that way, generate no animosity.

But today he had an idea and as it was a revelation to Harry he was determined to see it through.

Gladys the Scare-Crow had winked at him. It was a sign he was sure. He decided to give himself a jolly good polish and creak his way to the paddock where she stood day in and day out.

As he approached her she noticed his arrival. Her straw took on a sheen Harry had not seen before, he felt confident, he felt empowered.

Then it rained. Steady at first but then a torrential downpour.

Harry opened his mouth to say his first ever words of love but found himself once again, wet, seized up, his idea light extinguished.

He felt downcast. He stared at the ground.

Gladys, he noticed still had eyes for him.

She winked again. She smiled at him.

His tin bits stirred, the point of no return had arrived.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/05/02/photo-challenge-163/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Photo Challenge #163 – Harry the Tin Man

1. Sweet Michael. Go for it Harry, squeaky bits an’ all. 🙂

I hope it works out for them 🙂

3. Oh lovely. This was so nicely done. I liked every little detail you put in. Wonder how their story turned out…the rusty tin man and the wet straw scare-crow….

4. milliethom says:

A lovely story, Michael, with lots of detail that really endeared Harry to me. I love his squeaky bits and rust spot, and it seems that they didn’t put Gladys off at all! I hope they live happily ever after.

Thanks so much Millie lovely you could visit today, I hope they live happily ever after too….its a bit like aging isn’t it, we all seem to have our unique squeaky and sometimes soggy bits….have a good day..

5. whimsygizmo says:

Awwwww. I LOVE this sweet little love story. May they live a long and happy life! (And I love the Oz undertones here…straw and tin, together again.)

6. luckyjc007 says:

A really cute story. Most of the time there is someone for everyone, but maybe not when they expect it. I’m glad things are working well for him now and wish “them” the best. 🙂

7. mandibelle16 says:

Michael I enjoyed this take on the scare crow and Tim man from the wizard of oz. it’s an interesting twist. You know I never even thought about the scarecrow or tin man having bits but if they had a heart and a brain you’d think they’d also have those lol. Hope things work out for the tin man and Gladys the scarecrow 🙂