Thursday Photo Prompt – Bridge #writephoto

beneath-the-bridge

I wondered as I stood under the bridge who might have been here before me. The age of the thing and what that means fascinated me.

I live in a young country, in western terms at any rate and we don’t have many constructions beyond two hundred years, so this bridge which has stood for so long had me wondering.

Was it a passage over which the villagers traipsed on their way to work in a field owned by feudal lords, was it a crossing that marked the progress of one county to another, was it central in some past battle?

Was there a time when the king crossed over it and rewarded some villager for defending the kingdom or was it a bridge that allowed travelling salesmen to journey from village to village peddling their wares.

All that history and on a stone above my head was written, John and Lorna 4/9/39….and I wondered if they saw the next year.

Written for: https://scvincent.com/2017/02/23/thursday-photo-prompt-bridge-writephoto/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Thursday Photo Prompt – Bridge #writephoto

1. Ritu says:

So much to ponder… about one small bridge!

2. Olga says:

Interesting questions you’ve asked, Michael. Certain artifacts/landscape unknowns are a true mystery. ❤

3. Sue Vincent says:

Very much the thoughts I ponder, Michael… though this little bridge has a rathher elegant history, being part of a small spa town.

Makes the imagination run wild 🙂

5. Pamela Morse says:

You did go down the same history trail…I study my ancestry, so when I see pics of England I think about what i know about British history thanks to my family tree and the BBC..it is rich. The mention of 1939 is very skillful and thought provoking…well done!

6. willowdot21 says:

An interesting take!💜💖

7. Pingback: Bridge by Michael #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

8. Oliana says:

So much intrigue and once the reader gets to the end with that date, we read it over and run with our imagination.

9. Pingback: Photo prompt round-up -Bridge #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

10. KL Caley says:

Lovely response, Michael. You’ve captured the passage of time beautifully. I really enjoyed it and quite different to the other responses too. KL ❤

11. Lovely take on the prompt. I love the musing. 🙂