Tale Weaver #107: Lost 16.02.17 – Cyril Rum is Lost

not-all-who-wander-are-lost-guido-montanes-castillo-images-fine-art-america

Image: Guido Montanes Castillo via images.fineartsamerica..com

Cyril Rum, an angel on sabbatical from Heaven, didn’t like Thursdays. He thought of Thursday as a lost day, and he felt that way as soon as his angelic feet hit the floor.

There was a sense of depression about Thursday. Which in fact was unusual as angels were blessed and therefore depression wasn’t something they had to deal with.

For Cyril, it was a difficult feeling to comes to terms with. He’d been around an awfully long time, and he’d watched the poor souls on earth struggle with mental illness, but he saw it as cross humankind had to bear.

Now he was among them he was experiencing it all for himself. On this particular Thursday, he felt doubly depressed and twice as lost as normal.

He decided it was time to do something about it, after all, he was an angel, had served on the highest selection committee and so he’d seen a lot of troubled souls come and go.

Firstly, a good walk was in order. Get the body going and see what happened from there. As an angel physical exercise was never a concern. As a heavenly body, with a heavenly body, it was perfect and didn’t need to jog or lift weights, swim or go on diets.

So Cyril donned his red joggers, and off he went. He made sure to nod and say “Good Morning” to every person he passed.

He hadn’t walked all that far down the street when he heard pounding feet behind him and his neighbour Mildred Thrup came up beside him.

“Mr Rum,” she said puffing slightly, “Mind if I walk with you?”
“Not at all Miss Thrup, be nice to have someone to walk with,” replied Cyril who was pleased to have someone to chat to. Feeling lost as he was on this Thursday, his mood might be alleviated by having Mildred Thrup distract him from feeling lost.

So they walked together, they discussed all manner of things from politics to religion and favourite recipes. Cyril was only too happy to listen to Mildred as she prattled on as they strode down the town and through the park.

Each time he felt he had something to add to the conversation she’d cut him off as she’d discover another tangent in her conversation to explore.

Cyril decided that Mildred had seen a lot of the world and was far more human than he ever gave her credit for. She was telling him that the following Tuesday was going to be Valentine’s Day and then proceeded to describe to Cyril her one and only Valentine’s Day encounter.

Being of an angelic persuasion, Cyril was not very familiar with human feelings, physical urges or how in fact most of them satisfied those urges. He had come to the conclusion that whatever it was they did, the result was the creation of a lot more humans.

Mildred, however, was by now on a roll and Cyril was the ear into which she poured out the whole sordid detail of her Valentine’s Day celebration with Frank O’Leary way back when Mildred was but a young lady.

The more detail Mildred went into, the queasier Cyril felt. In his mind were images he didn’t ever want to contemplate again. No wonder when they arrived in heaven the head of the selection committee would take them aside and show them the book of sin, await their acceptance of the recording of said sin before referring to the whole committee a thumbs up or down. Basically, Cyril had spent an eternity sticking his thumb up or down in tune with the leader’s recommendation. No wonder he thought as he listened to Mildred so many good looking people got the thumbs down.

With his mind full of wet and enlarged images of the human race Cyril was at last grateful to find himself back in front of his house. Mildred offered him a cup of tea, but Cyril said he had to be getting on as he had an appointment downtown.

Excusing himself, he also suffered the personal ignominy of realising he had just told a lie. Angels don’t tell lies. They have no reason to. But just now he said to himself he had committed a lie.

He retired into his house and began thinking about his recent experiences. Telling lies was a biggy for Cyril. Maybe his time on earth had reached its use-by date as he was fast becoming like them.

It was time he thought to sit out in the back on one of his white wooden seats. He needed counsel.

It also occurred to him that even though it was Thursday and he still felt a little lost the day was not completely gone as he now had found a purpose. He wondered if they’d let him back in.

He sat on his seat, faced the empty chair and waited.

Written for: https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/tale-weaver-107-lost-16-02-17/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Tale Weaver #107: Lost 16.02.17 – Cyril Rum is Lost

Poor Cyril, you have to feel sorry for him. I always enjoy your tale weaver tales, Michael 🙂

Thanks Lyn. I’m enjoying where Cyril takes me. I like his angelic innocence and his understanding of people, we’ll sort of. Where I ended this one gives me opportunity to explore him further.

2. Joyfrida says:

Please do explore him further. Loved the story.

3. wordwitch88 says:

Oh dear – poor Cyril – he’s in quite the rum state!

I’m still chuckling at the image of him listening to the sordid details of the tryst and wondering about it all – and then that line: “No wonder he thought as he listened to Mildred so many good looking people got the thumbs down.” …. now that is curious! and is this some sort of angelical “Freudian” faux-pas?! A detail revealed to us, dear readers, as cautionary advisement?! 😉

LOL – another great story – and I wonder, as Cyril sits and waits …. what will happen next ….

Yes Pat what might happen next, my muse is suggesting I do look into what might happen next, I have a feeling Cyril have have to introduce us to his mentor….

• wordwitch88 says:

we’ll just have to stalk up on the virtue of patience then 😉

As will I….I’ve discovered that Cyril can’t be rushed…angels are by their nature patient creatures unlike we mere mortals..

• wordwitch88 says:

LOL – no kidding – they completely operate in another zone 😉 ….. but’s that’s okay, we’ll just let it all come to pass, according to …. *ahem* divine time and all ….

until we meet again Cyril – adieu? 😉

He certainly does operate in another zone..he’ll pop up I’ve discovered when he’s good and ready…that’s how it goes with Angels I am learning..

• wordwitch88 says:

what’s that saying, “we make plans and God laughs?” …. I think it applies equally well 🙂

4. I’m waiting with him Michael……………….

5. kim881 says:

What a lovely thought, an angel on sabbatical from Heaven! And what a brilliant name you gave him, Michael. Such a shame Thursdays have a bad effect on him – I quite like Thursdays. I love that sentence: ‘Cyril decided that Mildred had seen a lot of the world and was far more human than he ever gave her credit for’ – it was a forewarning! I’m so glad you didn’t elaborate on ‘the whole sordid detail’ of Mildred’s Valentine’s Day celebration with Frank O’Leary, especially since it caused poor Cyril to envisage ‘wet and enlarged images of the human race’! I do hope they let Cyril back into heaven 😉

6. Lorraine says:

I hope Cyril gets to spend a bit more time on earth — committing a sin of some sort since he wants so to get back in.
    Poor Mildred — I do empathize with her. She leads a lonely life — she will miss Cyril terribly when/if he goes.
    Thanks for another great piece of tale weaving.

7. Oh, Cyril. If you keep hanging out with humans you’ll be in trouble. I’d cut my sabbatical short.