SoCS Nov. 5/16 – Novel

socsbadge2016-17

I admire those who can write novels and long non-fiction texts.

They are driven people who find a thread and follow it to a conclusion.

I find plenty of threads and follow them only to discover after a while they unravel and I’m off on another thread that consumes me for a thousand or so words before I realise it has nothing to do with where I started. Its then I realise I have two potential novels and by that stage I’ve become somewhat disillusioned by my efforts. So I pack them away and look for another prompt of the 200-word variety and have a go at that.

It’s not a very novel way to approach writing I know. Novel writing takes take great discipline or a desire to make millions often through a false hope that you are in fact channelling Jane Austen or Shakespeare and the words on the page are going to survive the millennia to follow. Though in reality the truth is if your novel survives the shredder you’ve done very well.

So all those out there who produce novels in the hope of fame and fortune I wish you well and admire your resolve.

Written for: https://lindaghill.com/2016/11/04/the-friday-reminder-and-prompt-for-socs-nov-516/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to SoCS Nov. 5/16 – Novel

1. ellenbest24 says:

I enjoyed your post and follow you from socs. I think learning to write flash fiction and short stories which have a strict form, can hone your craft and tighten your work. In todays fast paced world more people want a snack sized punchy short story to read on their smart phones in lunch hours. If you write a manuscript you can’t think of making money, just making your words evoke emotions and getting people to read and enjoy your work is hard enough. Saying that I am working on my masterpiece, my dream. I hope against hope that I can whip it into shape and maybe an agent will believe in it and a publisher will go “wow” until then I will keep at my craft at the very least I will know I gave my dreams a bash.

You can do no more than follow your dream and continue to give it a good ‘bash’. I think part of the process is the actual enjoyment you get from putting down the words and allowing your mind to go in search of other places more exciting to write about. For me now days I enjoy the process, I pick and choose what i write about, I’ve invented some characters whom I like a lot and who give me avenues to explore. I’ve recently begun running a story writing project on an Australian 60s+ site and that has been a lot of fun with various people contributing each week to a new story. Where it goes doesn’t really matter as the intention is to get people to write which I am having varying degrees of success with. Good luck with your venture, keep believing Ellen..

• ellenbest24 says:

Thank you I invite you to partake in a post or two. My posts are as diverse as they can be, poetry sound story and pieces of me huddle there waiting. 😇

2. Fame and fortune? What are they? I produce novels to keep the folks at Amazon fully employed.In a small way, I think I’m helping

3. herheadache says:

A novel idea. Yes. Stories of all kinds are beautiful things, but I can completely understand your point about the unraveling thread.

4. willowdot21 says:

Great post, I am like you. I can start and middle if I try but finish….😋

5. Prajakta says:

I have trouble with fiction and turns out I am trying to combine a dozen ideas into one story – let alone an entire novel. But this unraveling has also led to some very interesting leads. Keep writing Michael 🙂 You were one of the first people I followed and you inspired me into keeping up with my writing!