FFfAW Challenge – Week of August 23, 2016 – Grandad’s Fob Watch

photo-20160821095532483

Photo: The Storytellers Abode – Thanks Louise.

Whenever I visited Grandma’s house I had to negotiate the front garden with its thick entanglement of plants and weeds forever growing across the pathway. To one side was the fishpond.

At the bottom of the pond was grandad’s fob watch. We were forbidden to touch it as Grandma had very strong opinions about Grandad and his watch. He had been dead ten years this year and she remained steadfast in her desire to leave the watch “Where it belongs” she’d always say.

Seems Grandad was a wayward man. Too many hours at the pub, too many minutes spent at the betting window and never enough money for Grandma to buy the bare essentials.

She got fed up with him and took the watch, a family heirloom given to him by his father and flung it into the pond. There it stays along with a myriad of funny stories about Grandad and Grandma.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/fffaw-challenge-week-of-august-23-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to FFfAW Challenge – Week of August 23, 2016 – Grandad’s Fob Watch

1. I can’t blame grandma for flicking the watch into the pond! Because of his wayward ways her life was a lot harder. Great story, Michael!

2. A smiler! Thanks for a 🙂 on a Monday night.

3. Iain Kelly says:

Lovely heart-warming tale. I feel like I want to hear more stories about Grandad and Grandma.

4. Graham Lawrence says:

Great story, I agree with Iain. I’d love to read more stories of Grandad and Grandma 😉

5. jademwong says:

I’d like to learn more about Grandma and Grandpa. His wayward ways may frustrate her, but something tells me they had a lot of adventures 😉

6. Mmmm … Grandpa was probably upset with Grandma’s actions but I think she had her reasons.
    Nice story …
    Isadora 😎

7. michael1148humphris says:

I wonder is grandad still about.

“”He had been dead ten years this year and she remained steadfast in her desire to leave the watch “Where it belongs” she’d always say.””

8. mandibelle16 says:

Great story. I enjoy how the watch has more meaning in the pond, then in their hands. Its an object of great value and memory, just as it is.

9. luckyjc007 says:

A very meaningful story. 🙂 There must be something significant about her wanting the watch to remain in the pond! Maybe one day she will tell the story behind that desire. She probably has a lot of stories she could tell.

I think she has many. Good question though, why the pond?

• luckyjc007 says:

Good question! There could be all kinds of answers to that, but would be just a guess for everyone unless she decides to enlighten us! Perhaps it was her way of saying to him…the minutes spent at the betting windows must come to an end and she threw the watch in the pond …never to retrieve it.

10. afairymind says:

A lovely story, Michael. It sounds like Grandma and Grandad had a rather tempestuous relationship. I, too, would love to read more stories about them. 🙂

11. He must have made her life hard.