FFfAW Challenge – Week of June 21, 2016 – Great Uncle Mortimer

photo-20160620054715745

Image: TJ Paris

Great Uncle Mortimer had a reading room in his house. As kids we were forbidden to go in there as Great Uncle considered us uncultured and sullied children incapable of appreciating such a room.

What Great Uncle really wanted was the shield us from the imps who inhabited the tops shelves of his vast bookcases.

These were very small folk who took unkindly to any one coming too close. It wasn’t unusual, so it was said, to find yourself sitting quietly and suddenly be hit from behind by a book flung from a high shelf. If they didn’t like you it could be a Shakespeare Complete Works that took you out.

Great Uncle said he had an agreement with them that no children would ever be allowed into the room.  Great Uncle’s son Lyle had gone in and was never seen again.

It did explain why Great Uncle would often come out of the reading room wearing his pith helmet.

Written for: https://flashfictionforaspiringwriters.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/fffaw-challenge-week-of-june-21-2016/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to FFfAW Challenge – Week of June 21, 2016 – Great Uncle Mortimer

1. Hahaha! The imps that live on the top shelf throw books at the little children. LOL! No wonder Mortimer wears a helmet when he goes into the library! Cute story! I had to laugh when I saw your title because that is the same name I used in my story. I didn’t think anyone would be using it. Hahaha!

2. Dahlia says:

Hahah – pith helmet! Enjoyed the read thank you

3. Great story! Pesky imps. A Complete Works of Shakespeare could be fatal!

4. Shadeau says:

Love your humor–makes my evening smile 🙂

Great story, Michael, and what a magnificent library. The kids probably thought great Uncle Mortimer was an old grouch, but he was actually being loving and kind. He’ll need to be careful though. Wearing a pith helmet might make them angry because they can’t hit him and have them asking, “are you trying to take the pith out of us?” 😉

6. KL Caley says:

Haha! Very good Michael – great fun. KL ❤

7. Soul Gifts says:

Those naughty imps !! Great story 🙂

8. Ha! Great take of the photo prompt. I love how the kids think of him as “Mr. Meanie,” but he’s really trying to protect them from pesky imps. And oh how I wonder about the fate of Lyle!! O.O

9. I think I would gladly wear a helmet in exchange for a childfree library! Love the take on the prompt.

10. swritings says:

I really loved your story! 🙂

11. mandibelle16 says:

I enjoyed this take very much. I love the idea of these wee folks living up top the library shelves. Magic such as the books. I wonder why they don’t like children? Poor uncle to have lost his son to them. Very imaginative tale Michael.

12. Chekii says:

I very much enjoyed the humour woven into this. It had me wondering too why they do not like children that much. Very good take on the photo.

13. Loretta says:

Dang those imps! I myself have a foot imp that likes to pull my book right out of my hands and drop it on my toes.
    Good story!

Thanks Loretta, you do have to watch them I can tell you, that Complete Works behind the ear can really bring you down……hopefully your imps are not so cruel to you…

14. luckyjc007 says:

I guess the little imps aren’t as well behaved as they would like the children to be….double standard here for some reason. Rings a bell to real life! The Uncle was wise to keep the children out of that room. Sadly his son was an example from the emps of what would happen if children entered the room. Great story.

15. Su says:

Good that kids werent allowed in the room but bad that they werent allowed.. would have been more fun isnt it?? Nice story…. 🙂

16. afairymind says:

I love it, Michael! Those imps definitely sound pesky. A ‘Complete Works of Shakespeare’ hitting your head doesn’t sound fun. Great Uncle Mortimer’s helmet sounds like the right idea. 🙂 I wonder what happened to Lyle…?

17. athling2001 says:

What a great story! Funny.

18. What an amusing story. Poor uncle Mortimer, saddled with the imps.