Photo prompt #writephoto – pale

stus-carl-wark-standing-cross-castleton-black-shade-pics-124

They did it as a warning. The three pale skulls placed on the ledge, seeming to have been there for so long but we knew they were recent. It’s how they worked. What you saw wasn’t always what was.

I had been coming here into this forest for some time searching for the ones who did the bizarre. Like leaving three skulls, always it was three pale skulls.

Why didn’t they want me or anyone else entering their domain?

There’s was a secret world where shadows contained substance and what you thought of as substance was so often a mirage or another shadow.

They did magic things in the forest. They concocted potions and promoted what they wanted and destroyed what they didn’t. It was a random thing or so I thought. In times of drought they cultivated the cactus, the plants most of us marveled at but never ones we really grew in any way to love. The forest people saw them as a source of salvation in hard dry times, the flowers of the cactus especially valuable as they contained the necessary nutrients to sustain life. As well as the leaves of the cactus providing water on long hot days.

They didn’t want their world disturbed by the ignorant, such as me.

We know the skulls meant something, when anyone ventured into the forest to explore it was often a matter of never seeing them again. The forest people took no prisoners, asked no questions, just left warnings, enter at your own risk.

Written for: https://scvincent.com/2016/06/16/photo-prompt-writephoto-pale/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Photo prompt #writephoto – pale

1. rosemawrites says:

oooh. engrossing. haunting. eeri. mysterious! great tale, Michael!

2. Wow, this is an amazing story, Michael! Left me wanting for more=)

Thanks Louise, you know you are the fourth person today to say that to me though the other requests were for a story I wrote yesterday for MLMM…..I decided that I would try and write in a slightly different way for these prompts just as a way of doing something different each time. Plus it keeps my mind working and not reproducing the same thing all the time….well that’s my argument…..have a great day/evening..

• I’m not suprised. Your writing is wonderful.
        I’ve just gotten some free time and I’m finally back on WordPress for a while, so I’ll be sure to check out your other posts=) I look forward to seeing more of your takes on these prompts. Good luck!

Thank you…..I’ll keep an eye on your writing as well…..

3. wildchild47 says:

Wonderful! This little gem is jammed back – just perfect – it’s like all the lines and phrases have come together perfectly 🙂 Great story to a wonderful image – and I really like how you’ve meandered (happily) into this realm Michael 🙂

4. Pingback: Photo prompt #writephoto – pale | Sue Vincent – Daily Echo

5. An excellent take on that photo. So well done. ☺

6. Pingback: Photo prompt round-up – pale #writephoto | Sue Vincent – Daily Echo

7. KL Caley says:

I completely agree Michael, this left me wanting more. So intriguing! Well done. Great response to the prompt. KL ❤

8. macjam47 says:

A haunting take on the photo. Enjoyed reading your story.